Nine Hours Kyoto Teramachi

Nine Hours Kyoto Teramachi Rates and Deals

Nine Hours Kyoto Teramachi Reviews

AleXcr86 AleXcr86
Practically a tourist attraction in itself - highly recommended! Jan 29, 2011
Let's be frank: you'll either love this place or hate it. It has the communal elements of youth hostel accommodation, and the cleanliness and chic of a stylish 5-star hotel. The pure novelty value makes it an absolute must if you're staying overnight in Kyoto.

There are pod hotels, and then there's the Nine Hours Kyoto - this place has raised the bar and I'll be surprised if it doesn't kick-start an accommodation revolution worldwide. It must be dead cheap to run.

Which means it's cheap for you, too. I paid about £37 for the night, and for that you get some cool slippers (with the 9 hours logo on), some pyjamas, a tooth brush and toothpaste, all the ablutions you need, and, of course, the pod itself - complete with a computerised environment control interface to control the light level in your pod (it brightens up in the morning to wake you, as alarm clocks are banned for obvious reasons).

When you arrive, you check in (staff are very friendly and helpful and speak English). By this point, you've already taken your shoes off, and you're given the key to your shoe locker where they're stored during your stay. With your slippers on, you make your way up to the fifth floor in the lift. Couples, I'm afraid at this point you will have to part company, as girls and guys or on separate floors.

The same key that opens your shoe locker on the first floor also opens your possessions locker which is located in the large changing/wash room. There are loads of wash-basins, mirrors, towels and hair-dryers in here.

Everything in here is communal - except the showers. You have a shower cubical and adjacent 3ft x 3ft drying/changing room to yourself. If I recall correctly, there were about twelve showers, so I can't imagine you'd ever be waiting. The shower was the best I've ever used. They are power showers with 15cm diameter shower-heads, a real blast!

The pods are on a different floor again, so you have to take the lift from the locker/wash rooms. It's quite amusing seeing all these people wandering around in the same pyjamas, but because everyone's the same you don't feel remotely self-conscious!

The pod itself is really comfortable - doesn't look it, but it is. I slept like a baby!

There's not much more to say, really. It's a great experience. Perhaps it would lose its novelty after one night, I don't know. But what I do know is that I'm heading back to Kyoto in April, and I haven't even bothered looking for other accommodation because I know I'll be staying at the Nine Hours Kyoto.
Jordiman Jordiman
9hrs capsule hotel Mar 11, 2011
I highly recommend staying here for the unique experience. The capsule hotel is looks spotless Lego white and has the feel of an interior that came out of a plastic mold.

Free Wi-Fi in the lobby. Very accommodating staff. Hotel provides clean pajamas and toiletries. I slept so well in the capsule, to me, it was very comfortable, to my friends, not too much.

I paid around $60 per night. For a little more with our group of three we stayed at the InterContinental Hotel the following night. There was a little hostel which they call a guest house for about 60% of the price but we still decided to stay at the capsules a second night. They do feel a lot more private than bunk beds.

Nine Hours Kyoto Teramachi Overview

Situated right outside the very centre of the city, the Nine Hours Kyoto Teramachi is within a 10 minute walk to Pontocho. It provides good-value accommodation with free Wi-Fi access.

Nine Hours Kyoto Teramachi Amenities

• Multilingual Staff
  • Complimentary Toiletries
  • Bicycle Rental
  • Photocopier
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shared Bathroom