Nile River Explorers Backpackers

Check Jinja Hotel Deals

Nile River Explorers Backpackers Jinja Reviews

Jen1107 Jen1107
Beautiful location Apr 18, 2016
I stayed at the Nile River Explorers Backpackers campsite for 2 nights in June of 2015. I was part of a tour company and we camped here. They also have rooms and their own tents. I didn't see the rooms, but their tents looked very nice and are high on a hill overlooking the river.

The campsite is clean and is in a beautiful location. You can sit at their bar and look straight down at the Nile below. In the morning, it's easy to spot monkeys in the surrounding trees. The shared bathrooms were clean and always had hot water during our stay. I didn't try their food, but the bar was energetic at night. They also have wifi which was slow at times, but generally worked well. There is also a pool table and a foosball table. Right outside the gates there are a few souvenir shops.

My favorite part of this campsite are the activities they offer. They set up a horseback ride for some of our group across the river. We were able to ride through a local village which was a unique experience. Other members of our group enjoyed their ATV ride through the village.

Because we booked their white water rafting trip, we were given a discount on their sunset booze cruise. Their boat was nice and the food/drinks they provided were great. It is a long, very steep walk between the boat and campsite. Be mindful of this after the booze cruise. A few members of our group needed help getting back to the campsite after drinking too much.

The main activity they offer is whitewater rafting. You can also kayak the rapids if you prefer. They are very experienced and their top priority is the safety of their guests. They offer up to Class 5 rapids. If you don't want to be thrown from your raft, tell them before you start. They'll have a raft designated to not flip while going over even the Class 5 rapids. You can even walk around some of the Class 5 rapids if you prefer. They were great about making sure you reapply your sunscreen regularly. You can pay for a cd of professional pictures afterwards.

I'll never forget my time in Jinja, thanks to the Nile River Explorers Backpackers.
The campsite grounds at the Nile R…
The pier at the Nile River Explore…
The view from the bar at the Nile …
Sunset cruise with Nile River Expl…
vicky_mcc vicky_mcc
Fun hostel in Idyllic setting Oct 24, 2012
Nile River Explorer's offers two sites in Jinja - the hostel in the centre of town and the campsite further out. I stayed at the campsite, and we enjoyed our stay so much that we returned after a few weeks!

The campsite comprises dorm rooms, tents and sites for pitching your own tents for visiting campers. Services include bar, food service, free wifi (often slow however)laundry service, but the main service is the range of activities that are provided, including white water rafting, kayaking, river cruise and horse riding. Admittedly, these activities are on the expensive side, but are definitely worth the money.

I did the white water rafting, (which part of the deal included a free night's stay at the campsite!)and was easily one of the best activities I did during my entire trip. For around $125 dollars, you got a whole day's worth of rafting (grades 3-5) with breakfast at lunch and dinner. For thrill seekers, do the grade 5 trip - amazing! But for those who want the thrills at a gentler pace, grade 3 is an alternative. I would definitely recommend this activity!!

The common/dining area for eating and drinking is a comfortable place to chill and overlooks gorgeous views of the Nile below. Food is served all day comprising mainly western dishes. However, service was often slow, especially at peak times and the prices were quite high. But there were a few stalls less than a minutes walk outside the hostel selling local food at a much cheaper price, and was much more authentic!

However, aside from all the activities, it is the lively bar that sets this hostel apart. During the day, it is quiet and serene, but during the evening, especially at weekends, the place turns into a giant party! The atmosphere was great for meeting new people and having a good time.

NRE is an ideal hostel for young people who might be on a budget but still want to have a good time.
Kayaking on the nile
Sunset over the Nile at NRE
BCinc BCinc
nice haven to play pool and relax before going rafting Nov 29, 2011
Nice backpackers hangout in the suburbs of jinga. walking distance to town. very friendly staff (not always evident in Uganda). Good place to mix with locals. Good meals, dorm beds are what you can expect of dorm beds for 8$. Good value.

Check Jinja Hotel Deals