Nikolaj, Copenhagen Contemporary Art Center

33 18 17 80

Nikolaj, Copenhagen Contemporary Art Center Reviews

WalterC WalterC
Only if you are in the area already, or on the way Apr 24, 2015
What used to be a church, the Nikolaj, Copenhagen Contemporary Art Center has taken its place inside. In fact, there is a sign that hangs on the side, saying “I’m not a church”, as if it is annoyed that people assume it is one, because it looks like one. Plus inside the building, you can see reminders of its days as a church, like part of a spire on display, the architecture of the ceiling, and even the organ is still there. Though there are no descriptions on the history of the former Nikolaj Church.

The museum is actually a photo gallery, with a group of photos on display. I assume it is a rotating exhibit, meaning it changes from time to time. The exhibition is small, so it can be seen in a short time. It took me about 30 minutes to see this place. I have taken photos of most of them, and do my best to identify them in this review.

Overall, I did not find this to be a disappointment. Then again, I did not have high expectations to begin with. I thought the photos that were currently on display, were interesting to look at, capturing a moment at a time and place.

Should this place be visited? I would say, only for both of these reasons… 1) If you just happen to be in the area, AND 2) have a Copenhagen Card.

A nice little museum, but not really worth going out of your way to see it.
former church building
former church building
reminder that it is not a church
Exodus
WalterC says:
Good question, and this place does not get into that at all.
Posted on: Jul 21, 2015
Vikram says:
Brilliant idea of making a church into a gallery, but I wonder why a church would "close down"
Posted on: Jul 21, 2015