Night-time Behaviour

Tamarindo, Costa Rica

Night-time Behaviour Tamarindo Reviews

Yoshu Yoshu
Mar 16, 2007
Tamarindo is regarded by many as the "Las Vegas" of Costa Rica, or so I was told before arriving. I was travelling with a large group of young guys who wanted to party. The group walked around at night with the casualness that one might have while at home in Canada or the States.

One must never forget however that in spite of Costa Rica's general and Tamarindo's specific appeal as a modern state or city, the country is still made up of individuals with very conservative/traditional mentalities.

Whilst our group did nothing wrong by Canadian standards, our total comfort as a group in the bars was an affront to many of the local Ticos with their customary machismo.

I was approached by one such young man and told that in no uncertain terms I was about to be killed by him and his friends and many of the locals, simply for being "American", which while untrue and irrelevant was still unsettling.

We left the bar and went to another where I was again approached by a local, but this time a considerate one. He said to me that perhaps it would be in our best interests to 'move on' because our presence was not welcomed by the young male population. We thanked him and heeded his advice and 'moved on' to Manuel Antonio, which was excellent to say the least, but is another story..
Partying at a Bar in Tamarindo
Yoshu says:
I'm really glad to hear that people are having good experiences in Tamarindo. It's good to know that a city with a large influx of tourists every season still is able to have some small town charm.

However, what happened to us, nevertheless happened. Everyone is free to take from my experience whatever they like.
Posted on: Feb 17, 2008
surfcity963 says:
Just got back from Tamarindo myself. I found the locals to be very inviting. We were at the crazy monkey and actually saw a few locals who worked where we were staying. We said hey, and the next thing we know we are in there car driving to other local hangouts. From Rey Sol to some ocean front bar where they proceded to buy us drinks and share good laughs untill sunrise. they even offered to halp us pay for a cab ride back because we had no money.
Posted on: Feb 17, 2008
k8marie says:
I spent a summer in Costa Rica and almost every weekend was spent in Tamarindo; my experiences were similar to that of egabry2. However after moving to another area of Costa Rica I did hear that Tamarindo is known to be quite dangerous at night due to the high influx of drugs. Nevertheless I found the people in the area to be very inviting and it was a great area to surf.
Posted on: Jan 04, 2008