Night Safety in Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

Night Safety in Prague Reviews

ellieisamazing ellieisa…
Avoided something May 08, 2009
I want to share an experience I had boarding a tram in Prague. As I was climbing the stairs to enter the tram, the man ahead of me dropped his satchel which caused me to stop on the stairs. I felt a person behind me pushing me and when I turned around a man with an Addidas bag was using the bag to push against me, close to my bag. I clutched the bag closer and said (i know in English) "he dropped his bag". The man continued to push me while saying something harshly and I kind of lost it and screamed at him "people are so rude in this F------ country" Well, I know he understood my profanity and started yelling back at me, I turned my back but then noticed that both he, and the man who dropped the bag jumped off at the next stop which couldn't have been more than 100 feet away. I think my crazy American tourist act saved me from a potential mugging.

One more thing! While it seems easy to jump on and off the metros and trams without paying, we did get stopped at a Metro station by a badged man who asked for our ticket.
Waiting for the tram.
pragkid pragkid
Stay safe in Prague Aug 17, 2008
Stay safe, don't get ripped off and maybe consider hiring a guide to aide you through the night.

I found this except of the US State Department’s updated information regarding security in the Czech Republic on the Prague Pub Crawl website. I thought if anyone new the pitfalls of partying in Prague it would be a pub crawl operator and the US State Department. Be prepared so you can focus on relaxing and enjoying yourself in a safe and comfortable environment:

CRIME: The Czech Republic generally has a low crime rate. However, street crime – particularly pick-pocketing and occasional mugging–is a problem, especially in major tourist areas in Prague. Travelers are encouraged to be especially vigilant in Prague’s restaurants, train stations, and on public transportation around the city center. Incidents of pick-pocketing were reported in significant numbers during 2007. Incidents of violent crime, while still relatively infrequent, are becoming more common in Prague. Travelers should be aware of the reported use of rohypnol and other “date rape” drugs in the Czech Republic. Caution should be used when accepting open drinks at bars or clubs. Travelers should be very careful while riding trains, trams, or metro, where most crime occurs. Keep a copy of your passport in a safe place separate from the passport itself; this copy can help you to apply for a new passport if yours is lost or stolen. Visitors should be alert to the potential for substantial overcharging by taxis, particularly in areas frequented by tourists. Radio-dispatched taxis are often much more reliable. It is also advisable to set the price in advance to avoid being overcharged.

Here are some statistics and links from Virtual

Most Popular Warnings and Dangers

-Pick Pockets

134 reviews as of September 16, 2008

-Taxi Overpricing

61 reviews as of September 16, 2008

-Money Exchange

57 reviews as of September 16, 2008

Additionally the Prague Pub Crawl Team encourages all tourists whether Prague Pub Crawl guests or potential guests to consider their safety when partaking in night time (higher risk) activities.

Prague Pub Crawl state that they're the only official Pub Crawl in the city. Please note that collecting people outside of a business (on the street), collecting money outside a business or inside a second party business (paying for a Pub Crawl in an unaffiliated bar), and distributing drinks or shots on the street are all highly illegal activities and punishable by law. Any of the above mentioned activities should be considered a risk to your safety. I found this.

Maybe having a guide isn't such a bad idea!
Walking through Petrin hill toward…
giotravel says:
Great reviews and tips, thank you buddy,
I am going to be in Prague next month, first time visitor!
Posted on: Mar 21, 2009