160 Route 35 South, Middletown, NJ, USA

Nicholas Middletown Reviews

mrgishi mrgishi
Jan 13, 2008
I recently made my second trip to Nicholas, which has recently been rated as New Jersey's #1 restaurant by several sources. The service here is the best I've experienced in the state other than when Ryland Inn was in it's prime. On this particular evening, owner Nicholas Harary greeted us, showed us to our table, and could even be seen serving wine to other patrons. That's a quite a site to see that this young prodigy and star of New Jersey restaurants would make himself available to perform a variety of restaurant tasks that along him to interact with his patrons. The only reason I didn't give Nicholas 5 stars is that the food just hasn't quite lived up to expectations, especially when compared to the best meals I've had at some other places. Don't get me wrong, the food is great. I would like to give it 4 1/2 or maybe even 4 3/4 stars if I could. This time I started with stuffed quail that juicy and flavorful with sour cherry puree. My companion had a black truffle hen egg ravioli. It was obvious that it didn't matter what it was on because the generous helping of fresh black truffle shavings would have made anything delectable. For the main course, I had filet mignon with porcini mushrooms. The steak was excellently prepared and very tender to the cut, but the mushrooms had much more flavor than the beef. A trio of crème brulees followed including vanilla, chai tea, and gingerbread. They were all good, but the gingerbread was my favorite. The sommelier was friendly, helpful and picked out a very nice Chateauneuf-du-Pape that went superbly with my steak. Though I can't philosophically give it 5 stars, Nicholas is a special place worthy of special celebrations.

Check Middletown Hotel Deals