New York City Subway

New York, New York

New York City Subway Reviews

ys484 ys484
Fast and efficient Jan 11, 2016
We walked to various places in Manhattan everyday, but there was a limit to walk. Subway is an easy means to go a long way in NYC. New York City subway is very different from subway in Japan. First, you don't have to slide a Metrocard when you get off the gate. You push a revolving bar to get out of an exit. Second, a Metrocard isn't a smartcard. So you can't buy something at a convenience store by a Metrocard. Third, we didn't see station employees at a platform and the ticket gate very much. So we had to ask a passer-by how to refill a Metrocard. Fourth, there are many subway stations that share the same name. So you have to check the line carefully before you get in a train. Fifth, you can find a trashcan at a station. But subway run 24 hours, so it is a great convenience. The fare is uniform. And you will have a chance to meet street singers sing in a beautiful voice.
Chokk Chokk
Fast and under surface! Apr 06, 2010
The mayor picture I had from the New York City Subway was coloured from all the movies that I had seen where the crime or the hunt for the fugitive took place in a train. Just before I left I even watched the movie; The Taking of Pelham 123 a 2009 thriller directed by Tony Scott, and starring Denzel Washington, and John Travolta.

BUT I must say I felt super safe all the times I was taking rides in the Subway. I really enjoyed the simplicity of the network and I had no big problems in finding the right connections.

While I took a ride from Bowling Green Station to The Central Station I even had the luck of being entertained by a group of young guys doing acrobatic jumps in the narrow cabin without hurting anyone.

I found the Metro Card very easy to use and refill; the thing worked.
At Bowling Green Station
Chokk says:
A skunk on the train:)
Posted on: Apr 22, 2010
vances says:
Always interesting to hear the varying opinions on the subway. My favorite story was leaving a Yankees game back in the early 80's and climbing aboard a car that had hardly anybody else. We soon realized that was due to this guy with enormous bare feet propped up...they stunk so bad it made your eyes water! First stop we scooted off and jumped back into a different car!
Posted on: Apr 22, 2010
Andy99 Andy99
Efficient Transportation around New York City Nov 13, 2009
The New York City Subway is a efficient and relatively inexpensive way to get around in New York City. Besides providing transportation to millions of New Yorkers and visitors, the New York Subway is a thing of legend. The Subway began in 1904 with a single line leading from Downtown (at City Hall) to far away Uptown at 145th Street. The present system is an amalgamation of the lines of three former operating companies. Thus, there is some overlap to the service, but the benefit is that one can travel nearly anywhere by subway in Manhattan and to the neighboring boroughs and a subway station is never far away. Expansion continues. The Second Avenue Subway line is currently under construction to provide new service to the East side of Manhattan and there are plans to provide service to the West side piers.

Traveling the Subway is easy. (At least I think it is!) Find your destination on a Subway map and see which alphabetic or numeric line goes to a nearby station. Then, find where you are coming from. See which line goes from your station and serves the destination station. (You might have to transfer.) Then, just be sure you get on the correct train! (Train numbers or letters are well marked.) The New York Subway Map is the official one, available for free at stations, or look at one on the web site. (The MTA web site also has a trip planner.) The Manhattan Concierge map from hotel desks is well marked with subway lines, too.

The basic subway fare is $2.25 to anywhere on the system. Purchase a MetroCard ticket from machines in the stations with cash, ATM card or credit card. If you put more than $8 on a single card, a discount is applied. Cards can be refilled. You can also buy 1-day, 7-day, and 14-day unlimited ride MetroCards.

Beyond transportation, the subway is an institution. Musicians and performance artists abound underground. Look for the many varied forms of art worked into the tiled station walls.

As the song goes:

"New York, New York,

A helluva town,

The Bronx is Up but the Battery's Down,

The people ride in a hole in the ground..."
Times Square Subway Station
Line marking on an "A" Train
Subway station signage
New York Subway MetroCard
Cho says:
I rode on the Subway all the time on my visits to NYC. Very convenient, but I found the London Underground (Tube) to be the best transportation system in the world.
Posted on: Jun 20, 2013
dolcetlb says:
I use it everyday. Nice review!
Posted on: Sep 15, 2010
mdalamers says:
Two additions:
- Make sure you get in the right train! Unlike many other major Subway cities in the wolrd New York has local train as well as EXPRESS trains, which typically skip many stations!

- Besides the mentioned unlimited ride MetroCards there s also a monthly (30-day) metrocard available. The unlimited ride MetroCards can also be used in the regular city buses as well as in the Roosevelt Island Cable car, by the way.
Posted on: Apr 25, 2010
Travelbuddys Travelbu…
Fast transit system Jan 29, 2009
The first thing you noticed riding the New York Subway is the lots of art and musicians on almost every station. We had fun riding the subway in New York. Although sometimes you had to wait pretty long for a train to arrive this in comparison with other subway around the world. But it is easy to go around.The system has around 470 stations and over 840 miles of track, wich makes it the largests subway in the world. I think the subway form new york is on of the expensive subways in the world you can by a Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard (from $4-80$) you pay per each trip. Ore you can my a daypass from $7,50 (cheapest way) Watch there site for more inforamtion on diffrent cards.

Related Travel Blogs About New York City Subway

De PATH train
Bijna iedereen die New York wel eens bezocht heeft kent de New York Subway. Zelfs velen die de stad nog nooit gezien hebben zullen de beroemde metro kennen, want de subway is zo verweven met New York…New York City Subway. Wat velen niet weten is dat er nog een tweede metro in New York
Yankee Stadium - New York City
Saturday's Yankee game at Yankee Stadium was the centerpiece of my trip to New York City. My 2 youngest brothers were also flying out to join me, but they were only going to be in NYC for about 24 ho…New York City subway has a stop right at the stadium. Unlike the newer stadiums there really wasn…
From Harlem to London
"You're going where?"   Just prior to my 25th birthday, I spotted, online, a last-minute deal to London. (Hindsight being worth about 100GBP, it wasn't such a "deal".) I had possessed my …New York City subways. I did not miss any parts of any conversations since English -the "proper kind…

Check New York Hotel Deals