New Year's Eve

Munich, Germany

New Year's Eve Munich Reviews

tessnz tessnz
Experience a New Years you won't forget Jul 21, 2011
The tour I was on had us in Munich for New Year's Eve... we had nothing planned or booked - but you don't need to to have an incredible experience in Munich.

We left it a little late to start hunting for dinner, and being a large group we couldn't get a table in the Hofbräuhaus (our eatery of choice)... but after lots of walking around and around, and breaking up into smaller groups, a few of us managed to squeeze (very literally) onto a table end at this famous and massive venue. The traditional band was great, the atmosphere was pumping... and it seemed to be full of tourists rather than locals, but that just meant everyone was buzzing. The men were chanting and singing as they do at big sports events. Hofbräuhaus is great... but then when it comes to counting down...

We went outside in the hopes of seeing fireworks and something happening at the Glokenspiel... and even though I had read on one webpage a comment that the people go a little crazy with fireworks I really wasn't prepared for it!

Standing there in the square, we were part of a massive crowd, many/most of whom seemed to have large stocks of fireworks (rockets, mostly), which they were letting off everywhere and anywhere - some even lit them an dsimply dropped htem on the ground behind us - so my advice is to be very alert!! There was also a LOT of smashed bottles and glass all over the sidewalks and street... and people were throwing lit fireworks over the road and under our taxi as we were trying to get back to the hotel at the end of the night... it was real chaos.

We didn't see a professional or traditionally impressive display of fireworks, but there was a lot happening simply by a mass of people bringing together their personal stashes... it continued for over an hour... and yet a strange lack of officials or authority (in comparison to NZ/Australia NYE's I've been to).

I'm glad I had my video camera to record it as proof!

Check Munich Hotel Deals