New Years Day Junkanoo Celebration & Parade

Nassau, Bahamas

New Years Day Junkanoo Celebration & Parade Nassau Reviews

Amandac08 Amandac08
Affordable Entertaining uniquely Bahamian cultural experience! Jan 04, 2009
Having never seen Junkanoo before I was excited to see it. Junkanoo is basically parade w. dancer/preformers, floats (usually pulled by people) and a band. Junkanoo is a distinctly Bahamain cultural experience. The groups are judged on dance, costume, music and various other catorgories. The costumes are very intricate. The groups range from small to large some being 1000 or more. Most Bahamians have a favorite group they cheer for I like one family. theres lots of dancing in the crowd too.

We bought tickets a few days before Junkanoo for only $5 USD/Bahamian. Honestly I thought we would have horrible seats for that price but we were on Shirley Street only a few feet from street on a raised hill are (which provided a good view) and we got bleacher seats. This is much more comfy than standing the entire time. There are other areas you can buy more exspensive tickets for seats on balconies or seats near where the parade starts. The security was very tight and any incidents were promptly delt with. upon entering your seating area you are given a wrist bank so you can come and go as needed. The Bahamian Police force did a great job and I always felt safe. I could not of been more satisfied with our seats & you can't beat the price. Vendors sell food near by.

Don't be afraide to try food from the street vendors. We got a great plate of jerk chicken, Bahamian macaroni, peas n' rice and a roll for $8 usd. It was enough for two ppl to split. There are also other snack foods and hot dogs for sale.

Check Nassau Hotel Deals