New Petra Hostel

1 David Street (Jaffa Gate) Omar Bin Khatah Square, Jerusalem, Israel
New Petra Hostel - View from roof
New Petra Hostel - Hostel balconies over store fronts
New Petra Hostel - dried up pool behind hostel
New Petra Hostel - entrance is just to the right as soon as you enter the souk

Check Jerusalem Hotel Deals

New Petra Hostel Jerusalem Reviews

itravel1 itravel1
Hostel in Old City Jun 07, 2013
Nov 16~20/2012

After arriving at the Old City of Jerusalem around 4.00 am, finding help let alone accommodations is difficult. Locating the police station proved unhelpful until a man going to morning prayer stopped to help.

We awoke the night time clerk, and I was invited for tea, coffee, water and a seat. After a short check-in process I was shown to my 6 bed dorm room where I quickly readied myself for sleep, so as not to bother my roommate.

They offered free breakfast which consisted of bread, hummus', tomato and cucumber, it won't last a day but good enough to get you till lunch. Coffee, tea and purified water all available all day for free. Breakfast is taken up on the roof with great views of the Old City.

They did not have any maps and trying to get any good information was not easy. Thankfully the visitor center is 100m away where they were happy to supply me with a map and answer any questions I had.

The next night I had my 3 x 3m room all to myself, it seems even here in Israel people do not like snoring....sorry. With three bunk beds the room is tight but with only one occupant, adequate, would not want to see it full. The bathroom was beside the room with an open shower design.

I peaked in on a private room which was spacious with ensuite and balcony, but at 4x the cost not needed as my 70 shekels (and snoring) was getting me my own room. There was a bookshelf for book exchange and reading and a tv which stayed on Middle Eastern news in the common area.

A cleaning lady came every morning for the common spaces, which were tidy yet dated, but your room had to be vacated before it would see any cleaning again. The staff for the most part(95%) smoked outside which is great considering even the twelve year olds are up to a pack a day.

The location is superb. Exchange, store, tourism info all underneath you as well as cafes and restaurants of all kinds within 100m radius. Jaffa gate is a very "central" place even though it is a gate to the Old City. It is very hard to rate the feel of a place when you are there during low tourism season and especially considering the news North Americans are fed relating to the Middle East, but there was probably 10-12 persons staying from different parts of the world and all were pleasant.

I would probably check into other places within the area before staying again.
Hostel balconies over store fronts
View from roof
dried up pool behind hostel
roof view
cotton_foam says:
This review got featured! Congrats!!
Posted on: Jun 08, 2013
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review!
Posted on: Jan 01, 2013
itravel1 says:
Yes it has worked a few times now! In krakow they upgraded me to a private room, but normally I try and stay in privates so as not to bother other tired travellers.
Posted on: Dec 31, 2012