New Banana Guesthouse

Check Penang Hotel Deals

New Banana Guesthouse Penang Reviews

Dunky_Hazard Dunky_Ha…
Banana Guest House is "OK" Mar 05, 2011
ok place, good service. Make sure you get a room at the North side as the rooms are alot newer / cleaner.

My overall opinion of Penang is kinda skewed, I guess the food was good.. but thats about it. teh ?
sylviandavid says:
thanks for this review
Posted on: Aug 14, 2011
Dunky_Hazard says:
Well i shouldnt say it was all bad. The National park was cool.. but i did not like the general
'back packer area'. I did go to a couple food stall courts.. if your talking about the one with live music and dancing i certainly did :). It was pretty cool.
Posted on: Mar 06, 2011
hayley_phoon says:
the food at penang is amazing huh, did u try the food at the gurney hawker stall?
Posted on: Mar 05, 2011
Biedjee Biedjee
Disappointing Dec 03, 2010
There is no shortage of hostels in Penang, especially around Lebuh Chulia. The Banana New Guesthouse has three locations within a 500 metre radius. I think I stayed in one of the oldest of the three, which occupies several buildings.

While I generally like the hostel vibe, often I don’t particularly agree with what’s considered a great place to stay. The Banana is popular, but other than the price I can’t think of a single reason why. The rooms are tiny, walls are wafer thin, the beds are uncomfortable and cleanliness is, well, let’s not go there. There’s only a single shower and toilet for 20 rooms and, by the look of it, it only gets cleaned once a week.

My room was situated right above a reggae bar, which is one of the few places that stays open late in this area. Great for late night drinks, not so great if you prefer a good night’s sleep after a long day of travelling.

Staff is indifferent at best and some of them are even downright rude. With hundreds of people staying here every day, you can’t really blame them.

The main building also comes with a large bar, devoid of any atmosphere, where free Wi-Fi is available and lukewarm, over-priced beer is served.

I just stayed here for a single night and then I moved to another hostel as fast as I could. The other buildings might be nicer (they certainly look newer), but I couldn’t be bothered to try.
sylviandavid says:
yikes.... good to know... sylvia
Posted on: Aug 14, 2011
James1985 James1985
obnoxious idiots Feb 09, 2009
Unfortunately for me, when we arrived in Penang it was late. And it was also chinese new year.

So when we got to looking for somewhere to stay, this was the only place with rooms.The price was very high and we had to book a triple room as there were no others, and they wouldnt do us a deal as it was new year and they didnt need to.Gutted

I found the people who run the place some of the rudest i had met on my trip, and definitely the rudest in Malaysia.

I expected the place to be alot cleaner as its reviews had stated but wasnt very impressed.

We had a front room facing the street and it literally felt like we were sleeping on the road.It was so loud and all night there were horns and firecrackers going off. thus helping us get no sleep.

If i go back to penang i will definitely not stay here, even if they are the only place who have rooms left!
birdy1985 says:
I agree with all of the above. When I asked if I could fill out my name myself as SEAs have trouble with a four letter name for some reason my response was: "Why you try to act smart" to which I responded "because I am smart". Also, the fact I have no UK address was irrelevant to him and made me write my parents' which is not where I live. I live in another country. Have done for 5 years. I felt angry by this point but the best is yet to come! The next day I woke up with itchiness and to my horror I peeled a bedbug (the kind seen on dogs in Asia, oddly) sucking my blood. I bagged one on the wall in a small medicine bag thing, killed as many as I could...they looked like the babies of the big two I did find (one killed, another vacuumed in a sealed bag. My friends told me to ask for a refund but they refused this. I don't know what to say. I would certainly suggest anybody in their right mind to avoid this place at all costs and try somewhere suggested above.
Posted on: Mar 05, 2013