900 U st, Washington, DC, USA - (202) 332-NELL (6355)

Nellie's Washington Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Drag Queen brunch that was more entertainment than I could handle! Woo! Jul 12, 2011
Whoa! I didn't know what I was in for when I signed up, but was fully entertained. Nellies is a sports bar on the U street corridor that caters to the gay, lesbian, and transgender population. I went on a Sunday for their Drag Queen brunch and it was HILARIOUS!

For $20, you can have an average brunch menu (bacon, scrambled eggs with cheese, ribs, rice, pasta, salad, beans, chicken wings, plantains, fruit, mini-cupcakes, grits, hummus, sausage, a mini-waffle station and more) and your first mimosa is free. Your table is served by your very own Drag Queen and our's was super sweet and brought us all we needed.

Once you have had you share of food and drink, the host of the day goes around and has little jokes about each table. Some are rather brash, some are funny, some are quite offensive, and some are true. It can be a little much for some people, but it's all in good entertainment. Before I went, someone who had gone before me had warned me they can be a little mean. After thay make their way around the tables, they come out, one-by-one and do their best impersonations: Beyonce, Pink, Patti Labelle, Whitney Houston or one of the Pussy Cat dolls. Make sure you come with singles cause they collect them as they make their way around the room. It was very entertaiing; I loved the outfits, the wigs, the eyelashes and contacts.

The food was pretty good, not lavish, but there was a variety and it was good. The entertainment was great and the venue can get warm in the summer, so dress lightly. You have to reserve online at or go to the Nellies website and click on it from there. They have seating groups at 11am, then 1230pm (which really became 1pm), etc and they rotate the entire group, not indivduals or indivdual tables. Enjoy! I know you will.
alexindc says: was a total dive of an Ethiopian joint, but they had the best food and the owner was super friendly and made amazing drinks. It closed back in 2006 when he sold out to the owners of Nellie's for a huge chunk of change.
HuBison says:
What was there before Nellie's-I can't remember.
alexindc says:
Sounds fun, but I miss the Ethiopian restaurant that used to be in that spot!

Check Washington Hotel Deals