Neak Pean Temple

Neak Pean Temple - The Partially seen temple

Neak Pean Temple Siem Reap Reviews

joehobo joehobo
The temple of healing Apr 05, 2013
Having come across mega sites dedicated to the king,queen, royalty, their valour , religion, university and culture I wondered as to how such a huge population sustained more than eight centuries without health care.My queries brought to light facts that there were doctors among the Bodhisattva and sages who performed the art of healing using herbs and their own medicine.I was also told that there was a temple and tank where people used to go to bathe and heal themselves of their illness.I immediately got my tuk tuk man to take me there but unfortunately the site was closed for renovation but I did get a glimpse of the temple and tank from a distance.

It was a walk over a wooden make shift bridge aver a moat to reach the perimeter of the tank were the barricade prevented us venturing further.The tank was a artificial man made square water body with stone steps all around the border.The tank had a central tower over a small temple which had a base of sculpted naga entwining it.The temple had four doors an all the directions and each door faced stone replicas of a horse, and elephant, a human head and another which I could not see nor was able to find out.

I was told people do come here on a certain auspicious day to take a dip in the four parts of the holy water tank which to me sounded like a familiar Indian ritual which is practice in its temples and rivers even today.

This site is out of the way from the other sites but one which tells you an important aspect of Khmer culture and history.Once the renovation is complete this place is sure bound to have more tourists and no lack of locals who might be taking a sacred dip in the holy waters.
Moat with fish trap nets of bamboo
The wooden walkway