Reportedly founded by Phoenicians, this beautiful beach still retains today unique characteristics, which distinguish it from the surrounding populations.
With the Christian reconquest, the whole region was donated to the monks of the order of Cîteaux, settled in the abbey of Alcobaça, being the town of the height located in Pederneira, today a peripheral district where some of the few testimonies of its history are concentrated, but that was The official designation of the locality until 1912, date in which it received the present name, derived from the Legend of Nazaré.
The Legend of Nazareth tells us that on the morning of September 14, 1182, D. Fuas Roupinho, governor of the castle of Porto de Mós, when he hunted, surrounded by fog, he saw a deer that immediately began to chase. The deer headed for the edge of a cliff, falling into the sea. D. Fuas, when he realized he was on the edge of the cliff, in danger of death, recognized the place, next to a grotto where an image of Our Lady was venerated. Then he prayed aloud: "Madame, save me!" Immediately, miraculously, the horse stopped, stamping its feet in the Beak of the Miracle, thus saving itself from death.
D. Fuas had a chapel built on the cave, the Hermitage of Memory, which is still open today.
Throughout the 20th century, Nazaré progressively evolved from a fishing village to a village dedicated to tourism, having been one of the first points of international tourist interest in Portugal, especially for the French. The tourism industry is today the main activity of the village.
It is part of the Nazarene tradition the use of seven skirts by their women. The Nazarene had a habit of waiting for their husbands and sons to return from fishing, on the beach, seated on the sand, and wore their various skirts to cover themselves, the upper ones to protect the head and shoulders of the sea, and the remaining to cover the legs. Today this is only seen in folklore, and in two or three street vendors, "uniformed" for tourists.
Recently, Garret MacNamara turned Nazaré into a world reference, surfing a wave 30 meters high near the lighthouse at the tip of the promontory.
Óbidos is located on a hill and the old town is still completely encircled by a fortified wall. The place has been around for a long time, the name Óbidos is probably derived from the Latin…