Natuurpark Lelystad

11 Vlotgrasweg, Lelystad, Netherlands

Natuurpark Lelystad Reviews

ik-ben-10eke ik-ben-1…
Wildlife in a civilized area Jul 04, 2012
So when at my sister's we were wondering what to do that day. I knew she has been to the Natuurpark Lelystad a few times when her children were little, but I'd never been there. So we took the car and in a good half hour we arrived at the park. Entrance to the park is free, car parking is 3 euro's for the entire day. Nearest busstop is 2,5 km - which is 30 minutes walking distance.

The park is a 400 hectare big area and it houses several bigger mammals, some of them hardly be seen in the wild anymore. My sister ofcourse knew it was a big park and suggested we might rent a bike, which we did at the information center at the park-entrance. In this building an exhibition is set up to give you a preview about what to expect in the actual park. There is also a cafe.

Near the entrance is a children's playground. Next to it, I noticed something odd, but it happened to be an insect-home.

Not far from the entrance you find the otter-hill. I like otters and admire their behavior: they are playful characters, and at the same time so undefinable serious in their way of living. We were lucky we spotted some otters in the water, one of them was coming ashore, and we admired their beauty.

Everywhere in the park are direction pointers to the different animals, and we were happy with the bikes, this way we were able to see many animals: Otter, Père David's deer, Boar, European bison, Przewalsky horse. Ever species of animal has a large piece of land, it is fenced off so neither the animals and visitors should be afraid of harming each other. It is not guaranteed you can see every species of animals, however if you have some patience, most of the time you will be rewarded with a view of peek of them.

I was not afraid to get lost in the park but my sister warned me that the actual park is not fenced of, so we had to keep an eye on direction pointers for the animals, otherwise we might end up some 15 km's away at Dronten. Luckily we did not get lost, and after a nice tour around the park we returned the bicycles, and left for home again. A well spent afternoon it was.

--------------

A few years later it was a surprise to me when on a family reünion we visited the very same park, this was a different season. The first time I was here it was Summer, now it was late November, and now we were with a small group, after we parked the cars we explored the park on foot, so our extent was a bit smaller.

I was eager for the otters, and patience was rewarded for after about 10 minutes we finally saw some activity. A couple of otters woke up from their mid-noon nap and went to the water for some swimming and perhaps hunting. In this shelter two species of otters are kept: The European otter which feeds mainly on fish and the Oriental small-clawed otter who hunts for small water creatures and shell-fish. Large panels gives background information about the animals.

While we were at the otter-area we spotted some storks, these birds have a Winter shelter at the park, so they don't need to migrate to Africa in Winter if they do not want.

Because we were on foot, we only went a little further to where the boar were. They were gathered in a large group and we were very lucky to have a plain view on them.

Again this was a well spent afternoon, and a good sniff of some fresh air.
Przewalski horse
European otter
Otter diving in the water
Otter information panel