National World War II Museum

(504) 528-1944

National World War II Museum New Orleans Reviews

trinademattei trinadem…
A Worthwhile Visit Nov 03, 2015
World War II is my favorite war. I realize that might sound strange but hear me out. I have been on a quest to see every important monument, site and museum that pertains to World War II my whole life. I've toured Normandy and visited the beaches and American cemetery. I've visited Pear Harbor, toured World War II sites of Berlin, visited Auschwitz and Churchill's underground in London. The list goes on and on.

I would highly recommend a visit to the National World War II museum in New Orleans if you share this interest. I toured the Road to Berlin exhibit. Told from a chronological perspective from the soldiers perspectives. You will assigned a soldier with your admittance and throughout the museum you will be able to hear the story of soldier and his journey throughout the war. The displays are interactive and use audio and video to bring the visitor into the realities of war.

If you like to dig in to museum exhibits be prepared for to spend half a day to a whole day here. My adult ticket cost $24.00 and I felt the museum was well worth the admittance price.
World War II Museum - New Orleans.
wagslikeadog wagslike…
Good Museum of American WWII Experience Apr 23, 2011
Being a history buff with a lot of WWII knowledge, this museum was a decent display of mainly American involvement in WWII.

Admission was about $20. In the (free) big, main room, there are American aircraft (C-47 & Dauntless dive bomber) along with a British Spitfire and German ME109 suspended from the ceiling. There is also a Sherman tank, half-track, ambulance, 2 D-Day landing crafts and the famous German 88mm artillery gun.

Upon entering the actual exhibit area, visitors walk through a chronological path of WWII from the mid-1930's through the start of the war in Europe with a heavy emphasis on D-Day and the end of the war in Eurpoe. Following this, visitors enter the Pacific Theatre section, once again, set out in chronologial order. There are documentary films to watch, lots of photos posted and also video-maps on display. While there were small arms and uniforms on display at regular intervals, I was a little disappointed with the amount of actual "artifacts" to be seen.

The propaganda posters from both Axis & Allied points of view were a little offensive by modern-day standards, but that's how things were at the time, so it was a little uncomfortable to see; particularly as there were several Asian visitors present while I was there.

As I was already very familiar with the history of this period, I didn't spend a whole lot of time reading all of the texts posted, but one would certainly have gained a real lesson in this pivotal era in history, should they decide to take the time to read everything and watch all the videos.

I would say that the museum would be very interesting to visit if this is "your thing", but if you're not interested in military history, you could probably pass on it, as there are several other museums in the city to soak up some "culture" and history.

The aircraft, and how close you can get to them, was my favorite part of the museum.
US Pacific items
C-47
US European Theatre weapons
US vehicles
ahtibat17 ahtibat17
An Awesome Museum of WWII History Mar 25, 2011
The National World War II Museum is located in New Orleans, Louisiana. It is an awesome collection of memorabilia and historical timelines and personal stories. It is set up in such a way that you enter the European displays, giving information on the conflict prior to the United States' involvement. Tere are video clips and memorablilia telling the story of World War II. The Pacific front is kept separate from the European, and these displays are after the Europe.

I enjoy World War II history and documentaries, but I was not prepared for the awesomeness of this museum. The World War II Museum is a moving tribute, and I learned a lot. Allow a couple hours to tour the museum, there is an additional theatre, but we didn't have time to watch the movie.

A visit to the World War II Museum is an absolute must in New Orleans. An adult admission is $18, but discounts are available to students, seniors, and military. WWII Veterans have free admission; donations are welcome to help keep this going.
up4anything901 up4anyth…
informative and well thought out Jun 26, 2009
I liked this museum. I'm a history buff but i think you'd like it even if you weren't. You start out watching a film. Its about 45 minutes long. I didnt realize it until i saw a couple people get up and leave. Your perspective will determine if its long or short.

the building is 3 levels. The first floor has vehicles. The second and third floors feature the the two war fronts (europe and japan). Museum provides lots of imformation. They dont pull any punches either as some of the pictures could be considered graphic. Again, this is your perspective. I didnt have a problem with any. I figured its nothing different than i've seen on the history channel. Lol

one of the staff mentioned they were in the process of expanding the museum. The construction across the street is evidence of that.
the size of the armies when WWII s…
what the normandy invasion force m…
victory in europe