National Museum of the American Indian

nmai.si.edu - (212) 514-3700

National Museum of the American Indian New York Reviews

andrejav andrejav
National Museum of the American Indian Jul 08, 2016
National Museum of the American Indian is a part of the Smithsonian Institution and really good place to see some art and items made by native people of the Americas. Entrance is free and you can go over the exhibition in one hour. I was expecting exhibition only from the North America but it is actually comprehensive show of many civilizations especially from Central and South America. Actually I was surprised that there are no better showcases of American Natives. They were mostly represented with modern art which did not do much for me. It is very easy to find this place and you can get there by going to Bowling Green station or if you are in the Wall Street checking the “center of power”, this museum is just across the park from the famous bull statue.
laylayang laylayang
Free enterance, educational, worth to visit Jul 12, 2012
I went to the museum just because my roommate suggested. I like to see what would like be.

By the way, human sculptures you will see out of the building is not American Indian:D

After security check, I went to locker room to keep my backpack. Locker is free and automatic, so you should make your own 4 digit combination. Don't forget it!

Audio rental is free. It is Ipod and you can read what you are listening, which is helpful to non-native speakers. Because the device is fancy, they don't have enough. So come early in the morning to get it. You should leave your passport or ID. English, Spanish and other languages are available. I choose English because there was no Korean option.

Interior is so beautiful and it has high ceiling.

Booklet for children seems fun and Educational. I would bring my kid if I have one.

Contemporary art was also interesting to see.

I had Dance class and saw kids learning about some American Indian song and dance. It was fun. Strongly recommand to visit.

Maybe it is partly because I had read a novel 'Tracks' which is about American Indian life when I was University student.
Glynnes says:
A nice review, Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Jul 29, 2012