National Museum of Cambodia

National Museum of Cambodia - entrance

National Museum of Cambodia Phnom Penh Reviews

WalterC WalterC
The museum does not care, so why should I? Nov 30, 2014
The National Museum of Cambodia is located near the Royal Palace, and has a collection of Angkor artifacts. Supposedly, this museum gives more context to the Angkor temples, and that it should be visited after seeing the temples. That was what I read in the reviews posted online. So is the museum really worth visiting, to a point where I should cut some of my time at the Royal Palace complex?

When entering the museum, it starts out with descriptions on the history of the Angkor Empire and 2 of the temples. Then the artifacts themselves, where it seems like it is separated by the different temples. And that is where the big problem lays, is the organization of the artifacts. It just seems like they are just randomly placed anywhere in the museum, with no descriptions about the artifacts or the section that I am currently seeing. Without the descriptions, I have no idea what I am looking at.

Also, there is a courtyard, which has a few ponds with lily pads, and a statue of Buddha in the middle of it. Looked nice, and you can also admire the architecture of the museum building itself. And the only parts where photography is allowed (as it is not allowed inside the collections).

Unfortunately, the courtyard and building’s architecture are not worth paying the price of admission, as I find the museum part to be a huge letdown. There does seem to be potential to make it an interesting place to visit, but judging from the organization, no one seems to care at all. So why should visitors care? I certainly did not! This museum is not even close to being as good as the Angkor National Museum in Siem Reap (that museum is definitely worth going to).

So to answer my earlier question, whether it was worth cutting time away from visiting the Royal Palace, I would say, in its current state… ABSOLUTELY NOT!
museum building
entrance
courtyard
little pond
Paulovic says:
What a waste!
Posted on: May 16, 2015
WalterC says:
Yeah, as I really wanted to like this place.
Posted on: May 15, 2015
spocklogic says:
Looks inviting from the outside, but like you say, not worth admission price just for looking at that. Too bad the artifacts inside are not documented or arranged better.
Posted on: May 13, 2015