National History Museum Of Latvia

Pils Laukums 3, Riga, Latvia

National History Museum Of Latvia Riga Reviews

Marjis Marjis
History Museum Of Latvia Aug 19, 2012
The Museum is located at the Riga castle and the castle is easy to find. The museum's entrance is on the backside, with only the Latvian name written next to the door. The admission fee is 2 latis or 3 latis if you want to enter the other exhibition. I didn't quite catch what that other exhibition was called. Also, if you want to take photographs you'll need a photographing permission which costs 1 lati!

Firstly I want to advise you not to pay that extra lati for the second exhibition. It's just two smallish rooms with pretty much only medals and photographs in it. Not worth of seeing.

I don't think the museum has any theme. It was just collection of random items from different times. In the entrance of every room there was English, Latvian and Russian info papers that had some info from around the time of the items in that room, but there was no English info on what all the items were, so I was left guessing. Lots of religious things, some medals, clothes, weapons, coins... I was most fascinated by the jewellery. :D There was also some rooms decorated with the old furnitures to look like back in their times. Some of the items looked like they were very old, but some were from more recent time.

It was a bit confusing to get around. Something that raised my eyebrows was that one worker woman (guide, I think) was sitting on one of the chairs in the classroom exhibition eating her lunch. Weird if she was actually allowed.

The museum was lacking something that would make me say it was great, so I'll just say it was okay. It really isn't expensive and the collection is pretty good, so you might want to consider visiting there while in Riga.

Check Riga Hotel Deals