National Gardens

Johnpro Johnpro
A piece of green in the heart of Athens ! Jan 02, 2012
History :

The National Garden

Behind the parliament you will find the 15,5 hectares big and magnificent National Garden This beautiful park used to be the garden of the Royal Palace created by Queen Amalia and her German gardener Schmidt in 1839. It is now owned by the City of Athens.

The garden has become public and it is open all day long. It is one of the places in Athens where one can find an agreeable retreat with shade, flowers and the song of the nightingales. The garden also encloses some ancient ruins, tambours and Corinthian capitals of columns, mosaics. etc. On the south-east there are the busts of Capodistrias, first governor of Greece and of the great philhellene Eynard. On the south side there are the busts of the celebrated Greek poets D. Solomos and Aristotelis Valaoritis.

You can spend hours wandering around . There are two duck ponds, a children's playground, a small zoo and a cafe called "O Kypos" (The garden) near the Irodou Atikou street where you can get a nice frapé, an ouzo and meze and enjoy the afternoon while you feed your leftovers to the ducks who come to your table begging for food.

Useful Links : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Garden_of_Athens

What around : Zappeion Garden (National Garden), Temple of Olympian Zeus , Panathinaikon Stadium , Syntagma , Greek Parliament .

How to go : Just couple meters away from Temple of Olympian Zeus , opposite to Zapeion Garden and beside to the Greek Parliament .

Tips : Get there at the daylight and don't be a jaywalker :)

Opening hours and tickets :

Summer : Sunrise until sunset .

Winter : Sunrise until sunset .

Ticket : free entrance

Extra comment : When I was kid many times been there for a walk with my parents because my older house was just 300 meters from the backside of the park (front from the parliament) and of course I continued this was because I am a bigger kid :)

The photos are from 2010 !

P.s. I make the review like a small guide ! I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :)

I am not Historical or a Guide , just explore my city :) . Extra information contact with me :).

Thanks for reading !
Johnpro says:
Thank you dear Yara for your nice comment:)
Posted on: Feb 05, 2013
yarayarinha7 says:
Who needs a lonely planet after your reviews?!!
Posted on: Feb 03, 2013