National Cathedral

3101 Wisconsin Ave. NW Washington DC 20016-5000, Washington, DC, USA

National Cathedral Washington Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Second Largest Cathedral in the United States Jul 18, 2012
We went on a self-guided tour of the Washington National Cathedral in the afternoon. It was a cloudy afternoon and the rain threatened to fall, it fell later after we left. Guided tours are offered but we opted not to take one, but rather go through it at our own pace. This cathedral was constructed in Gothic style, brilliant indeed. The high stained glasses are hard to miss, and highlight the entire cathedral. The architecture is pretty dramatic if you ask me, but then again, this was the Gothic style. A resemblance with the French Notre Dame, only because it has gargoyles, but not like you see at Notre Dame.

After visiting the Basilica the week before, this one seemed rather naked, if you know what I mean, but it was also the measure of Cathedrals like one sees in Europe and Asia. It is one of the largest in the world, and the second largest cathedral in the United States. When we arrived, we noticed that the top towers are under construction, or rather repair. The damage to the cathedral was caused by the 2011 earthquake centered in Virginia, so a lot of work is being done to stabilize the towers at a rather steep cost to the cathedral. The work however has not closed the cathedral entirely, visitors, tours and services are offered as usual. Outside the Cathedral right next to the garage elevator, you will see pieces of concrete that fell from the towers.

Even though we did not take a guided tour, I highly recommend the tour because it gives you more information and a systematic viewing of the important sections of the cathedral. The few people I talked too liked the guided tour. Go to the Pilgrim Observation Gallery at the top, offers great views of the city. One of the main features is the pulpit; it is known to have served prominent spiritual/ religious speakers like the Dalai Lama, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and Desmond Tutu of South Africa. This cathedral is indeed a photographers dream, I found myself snapping photos like crazy, that explains the 60 plus shots in this review

This cathedral is originally an episcopal church, but it recognizes all faiths and is considered a universal house of prayer welcoming all peoples of all faiths; apparently doing a great job of promoting interfaith too. It is a great religious attraction in Washington, a must see.
nikicole82 nikicole…
Exquisite detail, photographer's dream Jun 08, 2011
The Washington National Cathedral is one of my favorite places in this city. It was built just as the cathedrals of the 1400's in Europe were - without a single nail! The architecture and attention to detail is breathtaking. They offer tours (which do cost money, but not much)that take you through the belfries, or tell the stories of the various gargoyles of the Cathedral.

The Cathedral has various programs and events throughout the year, but it is open most everyday for visitors to wander around and enjoy the general splendor of this edifice. The stained glass is breathtaking and the entire cathedral really does provide even the most amateur of photographers with a bevy of angles and opportunities.

Must see for any visit to DC.
HuBison says:
All this time living in DC and I've never been and now it'll be closed while they do some fundraising and fixing.
Posted on: Oct 12, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About National Cathedral

Disney to DC - Trip Review
In three weeks we were able to see: Four National Parks:  Congaree- near Columbia, SC Shenandoah- west of Washington, DC Mammoth Caves- near Bowling Green, KY Hot Springs- Arkans…Washington, in spite of being a loyal registered Democrat! National Cathedral National Zoo National Monuments :  Washington, Lincoln National Memorials…
Paris, France
Ah Paris!  A gang of 9 of us (minus Greg, he can explain his weekend later) set out on Friday via train from Luxembourg to Paris.  The train ride was only a couple hours and we left earl…National Cathedral in Washington, DC, I imagine a few stylistic cues may have been borrowed from Notre Dame in the National
12 Hours in New York
So let me start off by saying that I have never been to New York before this.  The biggest city I had ever been to was Chicago and that was a long time ago, so I wasn't really sure what to expec…National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.  I felt like it was the same building!  Riding the subway…

Check Washington Hotel Deals