Nassau's Straw Market

Nassau, Bahamas

Nassau's Straw Market Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Not Just Straw Goods Jan 26, 2011
Straw Market. That's a little misleading. I expected booth after booth of handmade items. And there are. But it seems that everyone has the same thing. A few women are sitting with their booths, weaving the colorful boxes. And there are wood carvings made from mahogony. BUT -- the majority of the booths at the Straw Market are fake Coach handbags and luggage; cheap overpriced beach bags, and knickknacks that would only be clutter on a bookshelf at home. The merchants are willing to barter, ready to give a special deal just for you. But, some are more willing than others. I wanted a straw platter and the lady agreed to $15 after she was adamant about $18. When she brought my change, it was only $2. When I reminded her of the agreed upon price, she did honor the $15. So I warn you -- check your change. And, better yet, have an exact idea about how much and what bills you have in your wallet. I think it would make the haggling process much easier.

The Straw Market is a huge tourist attraction. So much so, a new building is being built to house the merchants. It is easily accessible within walking distance of the port. Upon exiting the port (if you've cruised in), turn to the right and walk a short distance. The Straw Market will be on your left, you can't miss it. We were there about 5:30, closing time for many of the merchants. Both a good idea and a bad idea. Some were more willing to get a final sale of the day in while others weren't as friendly.
The Straw Market is the canopy bui…
mswim mswim
Sep 26, 2006
The Straw Market is one of the most frequently visited attractions in Nassau, Bahamas. This is mostly due to its prime location. The Straw Market came about in the 1940’s after the local sponge industry came to halt. Local women needed another form of income and they turned to straw. The women planted and decorated palm trees and sisal plant leaves and began to weave things such as bags, baskets, hats and even little dolls for children. This hobby spread throughout the island and soon the market began a place to sell their wares.

The market itself is covered on the top only, leaving all of the sides open to allow a breeze to sweep through the cramped ailes. To this day women still sit at their stalls weaving little purses, dolls, etc for tourists. Many of the booths had small purses for children that had Spongebob and Dora the Explorer weaved onto them. Adult purses were either plan, had a decorative flowers on it or had the word Nassau written on them. The market is a great place to pick up other souvenirs as well. They sell conch shells, sea shells, sea biscuits and many other types of sea life along side shot glasses, key chains, beach towels and T-shirts. The prices are typically great and they have a wide variety.

I’ve been to the Straw Market a few times now and every time I’ve been swept with a horrible sense of claustrophobia. Although the ceiling isn’t particularly low and there are exterior walls, the aisles are jam packed with merchandise and people and I’ve found it to be uncomfortable.

Related Travel Blogs About Nassau's Straw Market

we want some sun
Our first day, we spent most of it by the pool soaking up the sun.  Nothing can beat eating breakfast and then putting on a bathing suite to take a a nap by the pool side.  The only snag ab…Straw Market in Nassau.  I'm very used to biking in crazy NYC streets, my GF, was not.  In the middle…
Last Day in Nassau
Today was my last day in Nassau so we went to the straw market to shop a little before I leave. I bought a beautiful hand carved wood chime and some small things to take home. Shopping tips: Go t…Nassau so we went to the straw market to shop a little before I leave. I bought a beautiful…

Check Nassau Hotel Deals