Nan Xiang Xiao Long

021 63554206

Nan Xiang Xiao Long Shanghai Reviews

spicyricecake spicyric…
Yummylicious Xiao Long Dumplings Aug 09, 2011
When you go to Shanghai, Xiao Long Bao (Dumplings) is one of the foods you must try. Shanghai is the home to these juicy buns. The name, Xiao Long Bao, translates to "Little Steamer Buns" in Chinese, because they are cooked in bamboo steamers. There are Xiao Long Bao stores all over Shanghai.

One of the oldest and most well known is Nan Xiang Xiao Long. In Shanghai, it's located near YuYuan Garden, amongst all the other food shops near the Old Town God's Temple. There are also many other locations throughout China, and even several in the United States.

I've never heard of this restaurant before, and stumbled upon it one afternoon after visiting YuYuan. It was around 2pm in the afternoon, and I was starved after walking around and not eating all day. The restaurant had a reasonable line at 2pm, not too long, and not too short. I decided to give it a try.

The store had a window where people can go up to, to order a steamer of buns or dumplings, or other food. Basically, that's the take-out window. Since I wanted to sit down, I went inside.

After looking at their menu on the wall, I decided to try the actual dish called Nan Xiang Xiao Long, namesake of the store. In other words, steamed juicy pork buns. It was not expensive at all, 20 yuan for 16 buns. Other kinds of steamers range from 15 to 45 yuan.

After waiting a few minutes and having the buns served to me fresh, still on the steamer, I dove in. The buns were delicious, filled with juices. On each and every table, there are sauces (dark vingear) you pour into a little bowl with shredded ginger, to dip the buns in, which adds flavor to the already delicious meal.

How did the buns get so juicy? They chill the meat filling, and mix meat soup in gelatin form in there, so that when it's cooked, the juices are cooked inside the meat. There are always different ways to eat the buns. I prefer to take a small bite of it first, suck out the juices, and then eat the rest, dipping in vinegar. However, a log of people like to just eat the whole thing at once.

This was a great place to try Xiao Long Bao, delicious steamed buns at a very affordable price. You won't be disappointed.
Xiao Long Bao, steamed juicy pork …
Nan Xiang Xiao Long, from the outs…
spicyricecake says:
Hah, I love how the only place that's legal is in China. I shouldn't be surprised, even though I didn't know Nan Xiang was famous when I went, the place I went seemed a regular dumpling store, and didn't have many people.
vinceable says:
I think it's different. Haha. I got "Scammed" too. The whole street in yu yuan consist of different stalls that sells "nan xiang xiao long" . The actual popular one with great history is call "Nan Xiang Man Tou Dian"
spicyricecake says:
I think it's the same chain restaurant, but some places call it Nan Xiang Man Tou (steamed bun) and some place call it Nan Xiang Xiao Long Bao. It sells the same stuff though

Check Shanghai Hotel Deals