Namou Guesthouse

Muang Khua, Laos

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

Namou Guesthouse Muang Khua Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Namou Guesthouse May 24, 2013
Namou Guest House was the last chance for us to find the lodging in Muang Khua. Somehow all guest houses and hotels were full or asking for five times the regular price. Another couple that we meet on the local bus from the border joined us and we went on the small paths between the buildings looking for the guest house. And, we did find it! Located on the high ground above the river, with the beautiful view of the “port” area and river, Namou guest house is old wooden house with huge terrace where everything happens. As in almost all old school, almost home staying places, bottom floor was reserved for the family and rooms were on the second floor. Everything in the house is very rustic, with uneven stairs, old old old windows, mosquito net broken in few places one of the electricity plugs from 1940s, but smiles of the family are genuine and stay is almost perfect. I say almost because there is no internet (and that is a drug we all need this days…). Doors are locked from outside with large locks so you can use your own if you like. Double room cost us 40000 kip which comes to around 5$ US which makes it on everyone’s budget.

Bed was old but clean, it smelled almost like my grandmas place. Old wooden houses have their own smells, noises, shapes and you must enjoy it the way it is. Whole village goes early to sleep and wakes up even earlier to go to work on the fields and on the river. If you wake up with the light, go outside and look for the monks that area making their food collections. It is really beautiful sight, with many women from the village lining up the roads, monks receiving the food and then chanting in return.

There is an issue that some of you won’t like that much, and that is that bathroom is only on the first floor. Issue is during the night because during the night you have to pass the part of the family sleeping and then make noise that they probably hear… I did not feel right about that one. There is another toilet under the platform, but that one is a bit rustic.

Muang Khua has very limited eating options but that is easily solved because restaurant is right on the terrace. They have cool, handmade menus (I was seriously considering taking one away with all grease spots and hand written items) very good food and cold beer. Everything is priced very fairly and menu has good choices for everyone. I am not sure, but I think that building next to the wooden one is also part of the complex because I have seen daughter of the lady boss cleaning and there was a foreign couple staying in one of the rooms there. Owners speak English in satisfactory level and they are patient with my broken English too. This town is a pit stop for river boat transport and in the morning we were to catch one of the long boats to the next village. Boat captains are dishonest and they will try to extract as much money as they possibly can from you.

It was very good experience and I would stay here again.

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

Muang Khua Map