Myvatn open

Myvatn open Reviews

sandraljoska sandralj…
Mývatn open Mar 01, 2008
Horses on ice...

The Icelandic horse, snow and ice are all fascinating phenomena you can come across at Lake Mývatn on the horseman´s weekend. Every year in the beginning of march is Myvatn open (horseman´s weekend). Myvatn open is a horse show on lake Myvatn ( the lake is frozen this time a year. it is amazing, seeing these beutiful horses tölting on ice in good weather.

There are not many places in the world where you can take part in or watch horse racing on ice. The tournaments "tölt" and pace open (skeið) are available both for professionals riders and amateurs.

I have been there for few years and I guess I will go every year and maybe one day Ill compete :)

riding on ice is very different from riding on "dry land" like roads, the horses watch their step in every step so they will not fall... I have never tryed Myvatn but when I lived in Vopnafjordur we went almost daily to the lake there when it was cold enough

the horses have special long ice-nails in their horeseshoes so they will not fall, but it does happen if they go very fast and slow down quickly.

There are few lakes used for horses and lake Myvatn is the biggest one and I have to say for my parts it is one of the most beutiful areas in Iceland and is ideal for winter activities as well as summer visits

I like horses and I like icelandic nature so this week is one of my fav :)

Related Travel Blogs About Myvatn open

Rejkjavik to Akereyri -by road in winter!
  We left Norway on 29thFeb and headed to Iceland. Wow! What an experience. I was in complete awe of the surroundings. It was certainly very different to anything I had ever exp…Myvatn, there is a lunch spot and a souvenir shop, with variable opening hours, but if you ask politely…

Check Myvatn Hotel Deals