Mystic Pizza

56 W Main St, Mystic, CT, USA

Mystic Pizza Reviews

vila vila
The pizza that made the movie famous Jan 03, 2009
In 1973 the Zelepos family opened Mystic Pizza, offering a "secret recipe"-pizza which contributed to the long run success. More than a decade later Mystic Pizza caught the eye of screenwriter Amy Jones, who was summering in the area. Ms. Jones chose Mystic Pizza as the focus and setting for her story of the lives and loves of three young waitresses. The movie was filmed on location in Mystic and neighbouring towns. "Mystic Pizza", starring young Julia Roberts, Lili Taylor and Annabeth Gish, was released in 1988 and was a hit. The little pizza shop became a celebrity itself, with customers lining the sidewalk to taste "a slice of heaven". To respond to the demands of customers they even developed a line of frozen pizza that matches Mystic Pizza's recipe, and sell it in stores nationwide.

The place is easy to find since it's located on the main street. It is decorated with film memorabilia, not only from "Mystic Pizza" but also other films. In every room there's a tv where the movie is being played over and over again. There's also a souvenir shop.

Now, what about the food? The pizza? - Delicious! The menu offers a variety of pizzas, salads, soups, burgers, desserts, well, the usual stuff. Is the pizza better than in Croatia? Hm,... it's close enough ;-)

All in all, Mystic Pizza is a nice, cosy place with good food, good service and a friendly staff.
Ready for some pizza
mellemel8 mellemel8
Sep 24, 2006
i was here last summer 2006. when i go to a new pizza joint. i always order cheese pizza. my test food. if you mess up making that. everything is not worth it.

we ordered 3 pizzas, cheese, pepperoni, and steak and cheese. the cheese pizza was well done. the crust was soft and not bulky. the cheese had a plenty of flavor. i love cheese pizza. i am not a big fan of meaty pizza. i like my pizza vegetarian.

the steak and cheese pizza was interesting. it needed more meat if i was a meat eater. i would not order that again.

i wish i had pictures. i had been there many times before. i always order my cheese pizza.

The story begins in 1973... when the Zelepos family bought a pizza shop on historic Main Street in Mystic, CT. They named the place "Mystic Pizza," and began serving the hungry locals and tourists. Mystic Pizza became very popular.

Of course, the real reason behind our success is the pizza. So tempting and addicting is Mystic Pizza, that the crowds grew and grew...

And then one day, Hollywood came to town!!!! Incredibly, our little pizza shop caught the eye of a Los Angeles screen writer named Amy Jones. The movie was filmed on location in Mystic and neighboring towns. When "Mystic Pizza" was released in 1988, it was a huge hit! Even Siskel and Ebert gave it two thumbs up.
mermaiddealer says:
I lived about a 1/4 of a mile up the street from here, in the summer I used to walk downtown to run errands because of the tourists, traffic, and the drawbridge. I was stopped many times to take the infamous pis of the Mystic Pizza sign. You should try the barbacue chicken pizza w/red onion, its my fav!!
Posted on: Nov 18, 2007
mellemel8 says:
the cheese pizza was outstanding. i edit the review.
Posted on: Sep 27, 2007
martinikitty13 says:
but how was the pizza?
Posted on: Sep 27, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Mystic Pizza

Pizza and music
Remember Julia Robert's first (?)┬ámovie "Mystic Pizza"? It was shot in a town mysteriously named Mystic, in a pizza place the scriptwriter chose because of the 'slice of heaven'-pizza. Well, I was t…Mystic Pizza"? It was shot in a town mysteriously named Mystic, in a pizza place the scriptwriter chose…
Mystic CT
We have a former co-worker named Jill K (or as the common man might say, Jill, which, if you don't know any other Jills would be more suitable. But we do, so we call her Jill K, for the same reason e…Mystic Pizza in Mystic, Connecticut has THE BEST PIZZA IN THE WORLD. So Adrian told me and Mayra…
Pizza, fog, and marshmallows guns in Maine
I was lucky enough to be invited to stay at a friend's family's summer home in Ocean Park, ME. A few months ago we had been talking about Boston, and she asked if I had ever eaten pizza at Bertucci's…pizza at two different places. I think Mystic Pizza wins out so far. This may only be because I ordered…

Check Mystic Hotel Deals