Mykonos Walkabout

Mykonos, Greece

Mykonos Walkabout Reviews

meersan meersan
Sep 26, 2005
Mykonos was the first Greek island I visited on my cruise. It was a breath-taking start and quite a big contrast from the bustling metropolis of Istanbul. Mykonos is one of the Cycladic islands, and the distinctive white and blue-accented architecture is the first thing you notice. Everything is painted white, from the charming two-story shops and residences to the many tiny chapels with their domed, clay-tiled roofs. When the sun sets, the white-painted buildings take on warm, burnished shades and the sea turns to shimmering gold. It truly is a beautiful sight.As you walk along the harbor you encounter many shops and cafes with outdoor tables. On my visit I met a crowd of people snapping photographs of Petros the Pelican, the island's mascot, who had wandered into a local ceramics shop. Mykonos' famous windmills are located near the harbor as well. The streets are so narrow they feel more like winding footpaths--with an occasional car squeezing past the numerous pedestrians. If you're interested in shopping you'll find many of the distinctive Greek goods here. Jewelry, linen and woven goods, crafts, and of course olives and olive oil. The shopkeepers we met were very friendly and happy to answer all of our questions.Mykonos is famous for its nightlife. Cadres of well-known DJs make frequent visits to its nightclubs. As we walked around the city we saw numerous handbills and notices for these events. I'm a big trance and house fan so I was really sorry we had to leave at midnight!The island of Delos, the center of worship for the god Apollo, is a boat ride away from Mykonos. Due to the lateness of our arrival on the island I did not have the chance to visit, but the charm of an evening in Mykonos more than made up for it.
Approaching Mykonos