Mývatn Nature Baths

Jardbadsholar, Myvatn, Iceland

Mývatn Nature Baths Myvatn Reviews

Vikram Vikram
The same tourist experience as the Blue Lagoon, only about 75% cheaper! Sep 06, 2012
Now, when I first started planning a trip to Iceland, the first thing I read was the Blue Lagoon near Keflavik airport being the top tourist attraction. Yes - more than the Golden Circle. Yes – more than the Northern Lights. But I saw the prices for a dip in those holy waters and my GOD my jaw dropped. That screamed rip-off to me, even for Icelandic standards. But having said that, you only live once and I wanted to make the most of it – so should I really fork up the money? Well, God had an answer – the Myvatn Natural Baths.

About a km away from the visitor centre, the Myvatn Natural Baths, whilst not a “real” spa like the Blue Lagoon promises to give you the same experience for about 1/4th the price. Obviously aimed at tourists, the spa is very well arranged – you pay up – you get your own locker and can rent a swimming trunk if you so wish. You shower before you step into the hot waters which scream azure blue. Now the funny thing is that the pool is divided into 2 parts – there’s the “warm” part and then the “cool” part – although why anyone would step into the cool part with that kind of wind blowing, I don’t know! But it felt so good to step into a bath after decades. I’m not big on this, so the last time I got into something like this was after a boring ski trip in Colorado. But the funny thing is, I actually started getting bored after 45 minutes. The Israeli couple I met in the morning told me they’d visited the spa the previous day, and that they spent 5 hrs in there. I was like “wow!”. But overall, it’s nice and what’s really cool about it is that it gives you a somewhat Blue Lagoon experience without all the tourists. At one time, around 5pm I think, I could count about just 5 people in that massive pool.

All in all, I’d recommend this place to anyone that wants a taste of what natural hot water is like in Iceland, but doesn’t want to cave in to tourism pandering at the Blue Lagoon.
The amazing rich blue waters
Another shot, see how sparsely cro…
sarahsan says:
Sounds like a good place Vikram! You didn´t miss anything by not going to the Blue Lagoon. I attended a TB meet-up there a couple of years ago. Several of us got our feet stuck in hair balls at the bottom of the spring. They are very strict about washing before you go in, but I guess they forgot to clean the pool.
Posted on: Sep 30, 2012
Dr_Seuss says:
I found Myvatn SO much better than the Blue Lagoon. The fact that the Blue Lagoon is the biproduct of the power station took away from it, but the views at Myvatn were far better as well 8)
Posted on: Sep 27, 2012
simsing says:
This one looks much nicer than crowded Blue Lagoon!
Posted on: Sep 27, 2012
Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
Mývatn Nature Baths Jul 03, 2008
Backtracked a bit from the lake to come here. For all the Blue Lagoon is good,when you haven't experienced something like it before, I found the the baths at Myvatn much more natural, and it cost half the price of the Blue Lagoon.

Being so remote, and less visited, the building is a lot smaller, but it is fairly new and well maintained. Decent changing facilities.

The water is feels a lot cleaner than the Blue Lagoon, as there is less silica on the bottom of the pool. Still enough for the kids to smearit all over there faces.

The views are really stunning and I found it very relaxing, as it was a lot quieter. Did have the strange experience of bumping into a multinational group of seismologists from the UN, who were in Iceland for a field trip, and really excited by it all :D

Spent plenty of time here 8) and tried to see how close we could get to the 100C water inlet, despite the big warning signs :D

No rush here, as despite being out in the wilderness it remains open until midnight during the summer.
Myvatn Nature Baths & Landscape
Swimming In Myvatn Nature Baths
Me & The Wife At Myvatn Nature Bat…
Water Inlet At Myvatn Nature Baths
Dr_Seuss says:
Was a bit strange, meeting all these brainy boffins who were as excited as kids on a school trip :D
Posted on: Jul 01, 2012
vances says:
Sounds like the encounter with the seismologists really shook you up
Posted on: Jul 01, 2012