Muziek in de Wijk

Antwerp, Belgium

Muziek in de Wijk Antwerp Reviews

seraphimkarlien seraphim…
music in the neighbourhood Jul 18, 2010
Muziek in de Wijk translates as "Music in the Neighbourhood". The idea is to bring a (free) music festival to everyone's back yard. Each year in july and august, bands from all over the world are playing on several squares all around the city. The same bands are playing every day from tuesday to sunday, each day at a different location.

Over the years, I've seen bands from all over the world at this festival, from Russia to La Reunion. They're not famous bands, but usually pretty good quality. The atmosphere is always great.

My favourite location is Krugerplein (every sunday in july from 14:00), where you can sit in the grass. Plus, it's close to where I live and I rarely have anything better to do on a sunday afternoon. Dageraadplaats (every friday in august from 19:00) is a really cool square too. If you are staying in the city centre, the most practical location is De Coninckplein (every thursday in august from 17:00), a short walk from the central train station.

I just read in the newsletter that this year the wednesday concerts in prison are cancelled (too bad if you're in prison, but in that case you wouldn't be reading this I guess) and will be held at the Zomerbar (see my other review) instead.

Drink prices are very reasonable. There's usually food on sale too, depending on the location. Last sunday at Krugerplein they were selling Senegalese food. I wasn't hungry but it looked pretty good.

Don't miss this if you're in Antwerp in the summer.

Check Antwerp Hotel Deals