Muyuna Lodge and Other Amazon Lodges from Iquitos

Check Iquitos Hotel Deals

Muyuna Lodge and Other Amazon Lodges from Iquitos Reviews

debsadams1979 debsadam…
Guarantees you will see wildlife, and that I did Jun 29, 2010
I can see why people say that they don't want to leave Muyuna Lodge, my 4d/3d adventure seemed much too short and I desperately wanted to stay longer. The staff and my guide Larissa were wonderful, as was the food, and as for the idyllic location? Just wonderful! There's simply nothing like being lulled to sleep by the sounds of the jungle. I'd originally planned to do something a bit more adventurous i.e camping, and hadn't intended to spend as much money as I did on the trip (four days is around 350 pounds if I remember correctly) but after being eaten alive by mosquitos on some of our walks I was happy to reach the mozzie-free safe haven of my bungalow each night and climb into a real bed (maybe I'm getting old?). Also I'd read many great reviews on the net about Muyuna and very few bad ones so it seemed a cert that I'd get a good trip and I was definitely not disappointed! They claim on the leaflet and website you will see animals in their natural habitat and we definitely were spoilt with them in abundance, my favourites though were the Three-toed Sloths and Pygmy Marmoset monkeys, they even provide you with a wildlife checklist so that see what animals you have seen on your trip (the guides will happily check if for you as well). I now what to go back in wet season and see how things change at that time of year.

I'll write a more detailed account of the activities in my blog but I hope this review helps people heading to Iquitos to wade through the plethora of lodges up there and avoid the endlessly irritating touts on the streets.
thenewextrememimi thenewex…
Sep 08, 2006
Iquitos is the place to book various jungle lodges, which will allow you to stay in the Amazon and see the jungle close up. There are various lodges to choose from. The more luxury choices are the Explorama lodges, which have the canopy tour and I think one of them even has a water slide. We went with the Muyuna Lodge mainly because its office was across the street from where we were drinking (right next to the main square -- most the other lodge offices are in a different part of town), and because one of the locals we were drinking with said it was pretty good. I got the feeling that Muyuna was a more... granola... lodge than others, what with the kumbaya guitars in the "lobby" cabin, the optional vegetarian fare and the big group of hippies on an ayahuasca trip. The location is excellent -- all the cabins are on a raised platform and the river comes up over the ground in the high season. No electricity, FYI -- the place is lit by lanterns an candles, and good luck keeping secrets as are the walls are basically mosquito nets. Fun fact -- I'm pretty sure that dude from Travel Sick went to the Muyuna lodge as when I saw the Peru episode I was totally like "I know that blue chair!!" My only beef was the main guide didn't really give us much information on what to do. He assumed we knew how to dress for the jungle and how to put on mud boots, etc. Then, when us city kids were all like "huh?" he went off with the two more experienced lodgers because we were too slow, leaving us with another dude to take us into the jungle who was very nice but didn't speak English. That was OK, except it would have been nice to actually know the names of the animals we saw. The main guide also stopped for lunch on the way to the lodge, while we had to watch him eat (meals are served at the lodge). We were really hungry because we thought we were leaving in the morning, but we didn't actually leave until about noon.

There are lots of other options for lodges, as you will see when you get to the airport as people will try to steer you toward different lodges. The further away you get, the more untouched the jungle is and the more wildlife you will see.

The lodges run about $100 a day, which is pricey, but the jungle is so awesome. Included in the price is a guide, meals and 2-3 activities a day like pirahna fishing, visiting a village, a walk through the jungle and evening wildelife spotting on the river.

I'm giving the experience 5 stars, although I would give the Muyuna Lodge about 3.5-4, due to the guide being rather unhelpful at times.
thin walls, hammock