Musical Instruments Museum

www.mim.be/en - 02 545 01 30

Musical Instruments Museum Brussels Reviews

Maurizioago Maurizio…
The musical instruments museum. Jan 20, 2017
This museum is housed in a Art Nouveaux building designed in 1899. It has more than 1.500 intruments from all areas of the world and from all times. These are on display on four floors.

Once you bought your ticket you are given a set of infrared headphones. If you stand besides an instrument; on a spot marked with a headphone on the floor you will hear music played by the instrument on the headphones.

This palace has also a concert hall, a library, a shop and a restaurant on the top. This provides a view over some area of the city.
vulindlela vulindle…
Facsinating! Oct 15, 2014
My daughter plays the viola and so she wanted to see this.

It was actually a very fascinating museum, and I really enjoyed it.

It has 10 floors, but only half of them are for the public.

The top floor has a nice café that has great views of the city.

They give you a little device with headphones and then when you stand in front of different instrument displays, you can listen to how they sound.

We stayed here for 3-4 hours, including a lunch at the café, and I recommend that as a minimum time to fully enjoy the museum.

I am not musically inclined at all and I thoroughly enjoyed this museum.

Cost is 12 Euro for adults.
MIM building
Hammond Organ
Various flutes
Various stringed instruments
HORSCHECK says:
Fabulous tips with great photos. - And thank you for your smiles on my recent reviews.
Posted on: Feb 23, 2017
cotton_foam says:
I think that you like music a lot...
Posted on: Jul 19, 2016
aihfl says:
Thank you for the welcome - I am brand new around here. My wife has been to this museum and says it's amazing. I haven't gotten around to Belgium yet in my own travels. What did your daughter do in a past life to have to play the viola in this one : ) ? I am a professional oboe player, so it's not like I'm not used to musician jokes at my expense as well.
Posted on: Nov 15, 2014
davidx davidx
World class museum Aug 27, 2010
The Museum of Musical Instruments in Brussels is indeed world class. It is well visited but it is in an area close to the Grosse Markt, where there is plenty of competition for places to see.

It covers four floors and the admission charge covers use of headphones. These can be directed at most of the musical instruments and the sound of them playing can be heard.

There are over 7,000 instruments. The organologists each look after a separate collection. These include several by type of instruments from the west but also there are collections from Africa, the Middle East, Central asia, North and South America and even Oceania - htough the mind does boggle a little at the last one!
Chokk says:
I never went there and I lived 4 years in the city!
Posted on: Aug 28, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Musical Instruments Museum

The Big Four: Chocolate, Beer, Waffles and Fries
Firstly, I apologize for the extra-long delay in blog updates. I've been having too many adventures and too little time to write! Nevertheless, I do want to give you the low-down on Belgium and the r…Musical Instrument Museum and the Les Marolles district. My favourite part of Brussels was actually the Natural History museum, which…

Check Brussels Hotel Deals