Museum of the Cherokee Indian

(828) 497-3481

Museum of the Cherokee Indian Reviews

BinLeenk BinLeenk
Museum of the Cherokee Indian May 06, 2008
It's absolutely stunning how I have failed to pursue much knowledge on Native Americans, especially since I live relatively close to one of the more famous Native American reservations. So with my cross country road trip officially underway, the Cherokee Indian Reservation was the first stop on my journey.

I stopped in Cherokee, NC, at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, for a walking tour of the Museum of the Cherokee Indian.

The exhibit traces the history of the Cherokee through pre-colonial life to the adaptation to 20th century living. The museum is a moving experience geared towards showing the resilience and determination of a people who were royally screwed on numerous occasions. Whether they fought back to preserve their land and lifestyle or played by the European's rules, they were continually taken advantage.

Of course, the treatment of Native Americans has been a quieted topic in American history and is grossly ignored when presented in our history books and daily teachings. This is extremely aggravating considering how much we learned from members of the Cherokee and many other tribes when Europeans first arrived - and even today we could benefit immensely from Cherokee wisdom.

The exhibit is well-funded and was quite remarkable. You take a linear walk starting with the first of several holographic films depicting the creation of the Cherokee land via an ancient legend all the way towards the end of the museum, which tells of the Cherokee's adaptation to modern life and their reacquisition of part of their original land. I was very impressed with the murals, the holographic films and the pristine condition of their artifacts on display.

This is highly recommended for all Americans, and it will provide an additional supplement to our true history for foreign visitors (many of whom frequented the museum while I was there).

Check Cherokee Hotel Deals