Museum of the American Quilter's Society

(270) 442-8856

Museum of the American Quilter's Society Paducah Reviews

Hummingbird Hummingb…
Amazing Quilts!!! Oct 11, 2008
I have loved quilting and sewing since I was a child, and I’m not gonna tell you how many years that has been, just a looooong time! :) We didn’t have to make our own quilts as blankets like some folks did in the early days, but we did it fun and to show off our handy work while making something nice for the home. So this years when we were setting up our trip back across the U. S. and back again, my husband made it a point to add the one place that was my “must see”, the American Quilters Society Museum if Paducah, Kentucky.

Opened in April of 1991 this collection of more than 200 quilts now on display shows the amazing work of modern day quilt makers as well as a few from days gone by. No longer are they bed coverings, today they are strictly art, usually in the form of wall hangings. They range in size from very small, maybe 12 inches square, to large bed covering size, big enough to cover a king sized bed.

They do not allow pictures in the museum because many of the quilts are on loan from the maker and they do not have copyright consents.

And pictures would not really give you the true detail, for that you need (and they do offer) a nice magnifying glass. They don’t want you to touch the pieces, but you can get up really close to see the amazingly tight stitching that goes into these quilts.

We spent quite some time in the museum and then spent even more time in the wonderful gift shop. I couldn’t walk away without at least one or two small things. They even had a group of quilters doing a quilt in the lobby that was interesting to watch.
Historic Marker sign outside.
spocklogic says:
Like works of art in cloth. Some things don't convey the beauty in pictures, as you observed.
Posted on: Jun 16, 2011
X_Drive X_Drive
American Quilters Society Museum, Paducah, KY May 07, 2008
Quilting has been a part of our culture for a long time. But the quilts of old are not the quilts of today. In the early days they were basically homemade bed coverings that were pieced together and hand stitched. Today they have evolved into a true art work.

Back in 1983 Bill and Meredith Schroeder got involved in quilts after attending a couple of quilt shows. They had a publishing company and decided to bring attention to the extraordinary work today's quilt makers were creating. Publishing of the American Quilters Society began in 1985, the year of their first quilt show and contest.

A collection began and the society grew and in 1990 ground was broken on the museum. It opened in April 1991.

Today more than 200 quilts are on display and show the work of 182 quilt makers. There were a very few examples of old quilts but all of the new quilts were made from 1980 on.

The pictures used with this review are from their website, and not my own.
tvillingmarit says:
Quilting is really a work of art. So nice to see a museum with this work
Posted on: Aug 28, 2008