Museum of Photography

Place Ben Youssef, Marrakech, Morocco

Museum of Photography Marrakech Reviews

wagslikeadog wagslike…
Ho-Hum Museum with a Very Relaxing Terrace Dec 22, 2010
A friend recommended that I check out the Museum of Photography, as I'd already seen most of the other, more well-known "attractions" in Marrakech.

Finding it was a bit, well, impossible...So I paid a random local, "helpful" guy 20dh to take me there.

The entrance fee was 40dh, which is quite expensive in Morocco, as most government-run museums and attractions are 10dh. Whatever. I still went in. The young man (perhaps the manager?) in the entrance was very friendly and pleasant. The building is laid out in Moroccan-riad style: Central courtyard with a small fountain, open to the sky with small rooms directly surrounding it. There were movie posters and an old film projector on display there. Pictures were hanging on the walls, neatly lined up and organized.

The 2nd floor was more of the same, with the oldest photos on the lower floors, and getting more recent as I ascended. The young man from reception met me on the 2nd floor as I was just sifting thru. He gave me a brief run-down of the point of the exhibits and let me be. It was OK, but hardly impressive by any stretch of the imagination. 3rd floor was more of the same.

The REAL selling point of the place was the roof terrace. There are traditional cushions for sitting on the floor, carpets and low tables in the sunshine but also shade from the sun, if required. Refreshments can be served on the roof as well. Nice views of the High Atlas Mtns. and the medina too.

All told, the entrance fee wasn't really worth it, but the terrace was a relaxing spot to just chill and converse with the fellow travellers who happened to be there at the time. Not a "must-see" stop in Marrakech, but if you happen to trip across it, check it out for a calm and panoramic terrace view away from the crowds.
Courtyard projector