Museum of Anthropology

(604) 822-5087

Museum of Anthropology Vancouver Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Anthropology museum Oct 29, 2013
Anthropology museum at British Colombia University is a beautiful collection and living memory of the native tribes of Canada, but it is not limited only to them. Whole museum is incredibly well organized and designed, with limited space for this large collection, but somehow you can gasp the way of life. I love the drawer cases that sit under the glass casings, and expend the story that is started in the casing above. You can open every drawer (without asking of course) and peek into treasures of the past.

Larger than life totems fill the main hall, beautifully lighten by the window wall that opens whole museum towards small lake and the sound. Some of the larger totems found their home on the lawn around the lake and there you can also find an replica of the native building.
oriel oriel
The Best Collection Anywhere of Pacific Northwest First Nations Art Dec 22, 2009
The setting of the Museum overlooking Burrard inlet, the Strait of Georgia and the Coast Mountains is fabulous. The design of the building is both beautiful and functional - admitting more light than the Royal BC museum in Victoria. The Great Hall has a magnificent collection of totem poles, carvings, canoes and large items. There are also some examples of the works of Bill Reid a Haida artist who worked in silver, gold and cedar and produced some of the finest modern art based on the Northwest Coasts artistic conventions. Most of the exhibits were closed for upgrading when we were there (completion scheduled for January 2010) but the great hall was worth the price of admission. Highly recommended. About 30 minutes from downtown. Bring your camera!!
peppertm peppertm
Aug 06, 2007
Being here was a dream come true for me. Before changing my University major to Sociology, I had started my major in Anthropology. As many times as I had been to Vancouver in the past, I had never been here. So, I made it a priority to make it up to UBC to visit the museum on this trip. I was so excited the day I decided to head up to the campus. My aunt actually wanted to come with me, and I thought it would be fun to explore with her, but I quickly realized that it would have been better if I had gone myself, as she did not care for all the art and artifacts. There was some of it that she didn’t mind, but, overall, it just wasn’t her cup of tea. I, on the other hand, could have spent hours on end there. I was in heaven. I found it all so fascinating. Here, you are able to see totem poles and other wood carvings, masks, clothing, weapons, dishes, jewellery, newspaper articles, transportation, and other things. The major focus is on First Nations and BC‘s cultural communities, however, you will find other cultures, from all over the world being represented. In fact, there are over 535,000 objects in the museum.

I took pictures of many of the masks, which I hope will help me in my career. I’m thinking that I’ll be able to use my pictures as examples when teaching different units, or as examples for different art projects. If not, they’re great conversation pieces, as the masks are amazing. They are bright, vibrant works of art, sometimes a little disturbing or scary, but beautiful just the same.

Outside the museum there are numerous totem poles as well as two Haida houses. It is quite interesting to see real totem poles and see how tall they are. We often see totem poles in textbooks, but seeing them in real life is always quite amazing.

School wasn’t in session while I was here, but it was quite busy anyways. The museum is on the grounds of the University of British Columbia and is beautiful. The campus is huge, with own little university town. The museum is set back amongst trees, and it’s a beautiful spot. It has an almost rustic feel to it. Behind the museum is a big open field, and it is there that the Haida houses, along with about 10 totem poles, can be found. Around the whole exhibit is a path that makes it easier to view the totem poles up close.

After talking to some of the employees of the museum, I learned that there was quite an array of visitors there the same day I was. There were many tourists in there that day, along with some students taking summer courses, and then, of course, said the employee, there were the regular people that visit once a week. Everybody seemed to be enjoying the exhibits (except my aunt) as much as I did. I found this a great attraction to see.

Cost: $9.00
Museum of Anthropology at UBC
Museum of Anthropology at UBC
One of many masks
X_Drive says:
Very good review. Interesting pics too! :)
Posted on: Feb 22, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Museum of Anthropology

Visiting Vancouver
The guesthouse we found on the net in downtown Vancouver is an old building lovingly and expertly restored by a couple of travellers that decided to stop for a while.  When they found it the bui…Vancouver to visit the Museum of Anthropology.  There is a large chunk of this place dedicated to the First…
Pacific Coast Totems
Wherever totems are found today they serve as a reminder of a time when the First Nations People tribes dominated the pacific coastline from the Puget Sound area of Seattle Washington through the Ins…Vancouver and Victoria, with the most dramatic collection of all is in the University of British Columbia's Museum of Anthropology

Check Vancouver Hotel Deals