Museum Of Communism

Museum Of Communism - entrance

Museum Of Communism Prague Reviews

cjosh cjosh
It's informative - but could be better Jul 26, 2012
This was one attraction I really wanted to visit. The museum is rather small but informative. The highlight is a 10-min documentary capturing the public revolts that happened from 1968 until 1989. It also contains quite a few exhibits and photos and an interrogation room.

Although, I enjoyed my time, I also felt that it wasn't very well managed/kept. Might be they need a bigger space - you get a feel that some collections have been just dumped somewhere because there was no other place to keep them. The interrogation room is hardly effective for this very reason.

Its a pity, since the price is not that cheap and this place was really busy.

It needs a makeover!
WalterC WalterC
Interesting Cold War history Mar 06, 2011
Not easy to find, as there is no outside sign hanging to indicate there is a museum, located next to the McDonald’s. The Museum of Communism is well worth the visit, for those interested in Cold War history. You may have to rely on a guidebook map to find the place.

Entering through double doors that is marked Casino, you go up the stairs, and enter the museum on your left. After paying and showing your ticket, you are greeted by a statue of Vladimir Lenin, holding the Soviet flag.

The museum tells the story of communism in Czechoslovakia (as it was known at the time), from World War II till the Velvet Revolution in 1989. It chronicles the different aspects of communism, not only the history of it, but also how it affected daily life. Displays include a classroom, a workshop, propaganda posters, busts of Stalin & other Communists (who have been reduced to just sitting on the museum floor), among others. Also, there is a video that shows footage of various events leading to the Velvet Revolution.

Very informative and interesting, as it got into the history and how it affected the people who had to experience it, first-hand.
stairs leading to museum
Museum of Communism
pease says:
Interesting to know about this museum in Prague. Some years ago, i visited the karl-marx-haus in Trier, which is the home where the communist philosopher was raised in his childhood.
jennjeff1 says:
Glad this is a museum and NOT reality for the Czech Republic!
alyssa_ob says:
Interesting! Maybe I can find it when I visit!
RB82 RB82
Very Interesting May 01, 2011
My friend and I went to this museum when the other people we were touring with went to the Torture museum (the more popular museum). We stumbled upon this museum and we did not regret our choice, though I am certain the Torture museum is just as interesting. This museum brought to life the experience of the former Soviet Union. There were original artifacts, art work and displays mimicking different things like an interrogation room. After seeing all this, you then can watch footage of the events leading up to the Velvet Revolution. We found this museum to be highly informative.

Related Travel Blogs About Museum Of Communism

Gritty market, Wenceslas Square and the Museum of Communism
We caught the 8 AM bus to Prague from Vienna. The drive up was interesting. For the most part I was writing this journal. Typing on a computer is extremely difficult on a bus.When we got into Prag…Prague. Flo went to a couple of stores which I didn't mind since it was pretty cold. We then went to the museum of Communism
Potential Itineraries
For our trip, we decided to make a survey to decide where we wanted to go.  We listed countries that interested us, as well as cities in them, and things to see/do in the cities.    …Prague         - Mozart Museum         - Charles Bridge         - Klementinum…
Czechoslovakia 2011
A one week trip seemed too short :) Weather was nice when we first came but it was getting a bit colder and rainy later. We had good food, nice beer, nonstop smoking everyday EVERYDAY. Things are soo…Prague. We went visiting the Museum of Communism. Whenever we went to a new city, it took us several hours…

Check Prague Hotel Deals