Museu Arqueológico do Carmo

+351 213460473

Museu Arqueológico do Carmo Lisbon Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Great arches! Dec 04, 2010
This site was a convent which was greatly damaged by the 1755 earthquake in Lisbon. Today, it serves as a museum.

The arches and lower walls of the monastery are still visible, entact and help make it as an intriguing place to visit. I really enjoyed how the arches withstood the earthquake, and looking at the artefacts that are dotted around the walls.

The site also houses an indoor museum, which contains church artefacts, more ruins, as well as some really cool Peruvian and Egyptian mummies within the library section.

The entrance price is 3.50 Euros and offers decent value for money. They do provide you with a basic map and information leaflet in English, Portuguese and some other languages. In reality though, the site isn't that big and a map isn't needed at all!

This makes a lovely little short trip, especially if you are near the Santa Justa lift, as it is located very near to here. Worth popping in quickly.
Vipin says:
it's still impressive to me as a fully grown adult. i really wanted to take a pic too, but they had a massive sign up saying that you couldn't, and cameras everywhere!
Posted on: Dec 27, 2010
montecarlostar says:
We have a mummy in our local museum here in my hometown. I remember when I was a kid, I was very impressed to think that was the rotting body of someone who lived hundreds of years ago :)
Posted on: Dec 26, 2010