Museo del Jamon

1 CARRERA SAN JERÓNIMO, Madrid, Spain

Museo del Jamon Madrid Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Jamon and Tourists Jun 22, 2010
I ended up at Museo del Jamon by pure coincidence; I was out walking and from the crossing down the street I saw a place that had outdoor service in the sun. Having stayed long enough in the shade in Denmark all winter I headed for one of these seats.

I was lucky to get a table facing the traffic but also a place without a parasol covering for the sun. It was a great place just sitting and watching Madrid pass by.

Museo del Jamon is situated next to a hotel as well and loads of people were coming and leaving the hotel by taxi or bus; it was nice to follow. I just stayed there for a couple of beers and some taps, but a bus full of elderly Americans arrived in order to try the food and the place as a part of an excursion.

I found that it was a nice place that I easily could visit again.
Museo del Jamon
Sitting outside next to the Traffic
Inside a part of the place was a s…
Jamon everywhere
Vlindeke says:
I love this 'Museo del Jamon' shops!!
Posted on: Jun 22, 2010
kristinasub kristina…
Jamon , Jamon ... Jul 30, 2008
When we saw title "Museo del Jamon" in first moment didn't know what is it :o) but soon as we looked through the window and steped in everything was clear :o) Of course this is not museum , even it can be called like that in the name of glory for Jamon :o) ... this is right place to buy good "bocadillo" (sandwich on a baguette) filled with ham, cheese , tomato or with something else , depend of your wish , choice is really big. As mediterranean type of people who adore fish and jamon :o) we decided to take bocadillo with jamon, mmmm, it smells so good and taste was fantastic!

Jamón, in general English parlance, refers to a cured ham from Spain. There are two primary types of jamón: Jamón serrano (meaning ham from the sierra or mountains) and Jamón ibérico (ham from the Black Iberian Pig).

In Spanish jamón simply means ham, thus cooked sliced ham, for example, is called jamón de York. This is exactly the same as with the Italian prosciutto, which in Italy is any ham, in English is only dry-cured uncooked ham.

Procedure of curing jamon is : The hams from the slaughtered pigs are salted and left to begin drying for 2 weeks, after which they are rinsed and left to dry for another four to 6 weeks. The curing process then takes at least 12 months,the hams are hung in a cool dry place, although some producers cure (jamones ibéricos) for up to 36 months.

There are a few Museo del Jamons in Madrid, but we went this one in Carrera de San Jeronimo, the one close to the Puerta del Sol, and next day when we passed by in one in Paseo del Prado no.44. All places are nicely decorated with the celling full of hams :o) . You can choose (except bocadillos) to have tapas at the bar standing between the Madrilenos who likes this places and enjoy in their moments here,or upstairs in the dining room, it's up of your wish.

You can find Museo del Jamon also on next addresses in Madrid, depends of where you are in that moment : Avda.de Cordoba 7, Mayor 7, Capitan Haya 15 or Plaza Mayor 18.

So, when you come to Madrid get in at some of this unique "museum" and enjoy !
kristinasub says:
Yes Portia, there are a few of them, and this one on the photos is near Plaza Mayor, I saw 2 more in Madrid but this one seems like the biggest one and comfortable...but ham is great in any of them ;)
Posted on: Jun 26, 2010
portia says:
:) I think we went to the exact same one! There are quite a few of them in Madrid, and it is really heaven for people who love ham (like me). I can't wait to go back. Great review and pictures too.
Posted on: Jun 22, 2010
Koralifix says:
Very nicely written review :)
Posted on: Feb 12, 2009
Pearl510 Pearl510
Jul 10, 2007
This is not a real museum but more like a shop that is decorated like a museum. The walls and ceiling are completely covered with the typical Spanish ham or jamón, but also with pictures and tools. I'm a vegetarian, so I found it a bit of a horrible sight, all this pieces of animals hanging around. But I did taste the ham and I must admit it is delicious. Italian prosquito and Spanish serrano, it must be the best meat in the world!

We bought a simple lunch here: a bocadillo each, me with some tasty Spanish cheese and my parents with ham. They were large and good, costing only 1,25 euro. You can also eat raciones (meals) in the museo, inside at the bar or outside on the terrace (which is directly next to the Gran Via so not too charming). The plates that were served looked really good, so I can advise you to try one, although we didn't.
The interior of the museo
ismavk ismavk
Nov 18, 2007
One of the best places in Madrid to drink and eat. It´s very cheap, you can drink a quite big beer for 1 euro or less (it depends on the situation of the bar) and eat a ham sandwich for 1.20 euro. If you go, I'm sure you'll repeat. Weak point: it's usually pleintfull of people and quite dirty (I mean the floor)

Check Madrid Hotel Deals