Museo del Ferrocarril

61 Paseo de las Delicias, Madrid, Spain
902 22 88 22
Museo del Ferrocarril - Talgo
Museo del Ferrocarril - The train whose compartments are now the coffee shop!
Museo del Ferrocarril - One of the ancient steamers
Museo del Ferrocarril - The bedroom
Museo del Ferrocarril - The dining room display
Museo del Ferrocarril - The dining room display
Museo del Ferrocarril - Entrance to the museum

Museo del Ferrocarril Madrid Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Gustave Eiffel gave Paris the Tower, and gave Madrid Europe's largest train museum Oct 24, 2012
This was a very interesting experience for me, and I'd say that this will either be a hit or flop for people depending on their wont. This museum was built by none other than Gustave Eiffel, and has become Europe's largest train museum. Facty!

The Railway Museum/Museo del Ferrocarril is right next to the Science museum, so it's not too hard to find. It's really an old railway station convered into a museum which to me was a brilliant idea. Once you're in after paying the 5E fee (or free with Madrid Pass), be aware that there are no signs here. Although, you don't really need it.

- I liked this place as not a lot of people visit (infact I believe I'm the first to write a review on Travbuddy, fancy that!), and as no one was around, I felt I had the whole place to myself.

- It was nice seeing how the 50s and 60s trains on display were, and some rooms inside were all dolled up. You get an idea of how the rich had it so comfy, the sleeping rooms and dining rooms were actually amazing enough I wish I had a time machine!

- The very bright colours in general. Trains those days sure were stylish.

- One of the old trains has been converted into a cafe. I thought that was a really cool idea, useful utilisation of the works of art!

Things that are not so good:

- The travel books rave about the clock room, but I thought it was really small, almost non existent.

- The same room has little Lego size motored toy trains going through tracks which I thought was a bit irrelevant. The trains don't really tell you anything more than what you could get at Toys'R'Us.

- Bizarrely, they have a bookshop selling old cartoon books in the centre of the museum/station. It's awful. And a bit pointless. They should move it to a park!

Overall, I'd recommend this place. Not too far from the main tourist attractions, enough to spend about 30 minutes of peace and quiet and yet admire the trains of yore.
One of the ancient steamers
The dining room display
kyle81 says:
Interesting, Eiffel was responsible for this heh? He built a beautiful tower for the French and a train museum not many outside of Spain know about. In his defense I guess, it is hard to follow up that first piece.
HelenP says:
Vikram, This reminds me of the national railway museum in York. If you have not been you might like to check it out one time. It is one of my favourite museums; home to the Mallard (fastest ever steam train), a newly refurbished Flying Scotsman and the Japanese Bullet Train. Also has a great collection of royal carriages from Queen Vic to the Queen Mother.. and boy are some of them lovely. And it is free to get in too.
rsvpme says: