Museo de Sitio Qorikancha

Av El Sol third block, Cusco, Peru

Museo de Sitio Qorikancha Cusco Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
neat mummies but not very impressive overall Nov 24, 2008
This museum is located underground and has several displays of Inca pottery, metalwork, textiles, painting and other artwork. This museum was covered by our Cusco ticket, not sure what it would cost without the ticket. The museum is small and dark and all displays are in Spanish. We got there as a large school group of kids so it was very crowded and very loud. The items were interesting, especially the three mummies with deformed skulls of the social elite. It would have been better if I could understand the descriptions and it wasn’t so crowded.

The museum is at the base of the Qorikancha Temple. Probably not worth your time unless you have the Cusco ticket, understand Spanish, are in the area and are really interested in either Inca artifacts or getting your money’s worth on the ticket. You can’t take photos inside but there isn’t much to take photos of. It was sort of neat that the museum was underground and that the exit is a stairway up through a hole in the grassy lawn. I'm not sure if it is handicap accessible - I don't think it is.
entrance to underground museum
exit of museum is hole in ground
adriangrant74 says:
Pretty fair review :o)

I found it quite interesting, but then, I wasn't surrounded by children and I can read Spanish. Yes, a bit small and dark, and no, not 'accessible' in first world terms.

One website I saw said it's only open to holders of the tourist ticket - and presumably to school groups!

Overall, worth a half-hour or an hour, depending on your level of interest in the culture and your Spanish.
Posted on: Sep 30, 2010