Museo Sorolla

Museo Sorolla Madrid Reviews

krantboy krantboy
You will feel at home. May 12, 2015
To start with , I never had the feeling that i was visiting a musuem rather i felt at home.

I have seen a couple of Sorolla's paintings while i visited musee d'orsay in Paris and they were quite good. So i planned to make a visit to this place. This place is a true gem especially the dining room decors and his studio celings. Would definitely recommend this place. The fee was 3 euros (free for children and has some student discount). I think for the price and the time involved , its worth a visit.

Note:Entrance is free for everyone on Saturday from 14:00 – 20:00 and all day Sunday.
Vikram Vikram
Worth the trip across town if seeing a 1900s tacky New York chandelier is your thing! Oct 24, 2012
So where do we begin? I'd like to call this museum as a story of two parts, the outer magnificent courtyard and the "inner museum".

Location wise, it's relatively easy to find. It's smack dub in the centre of a fairly busy commercial area, in the heart of big arse buildings but the museum by itself has a very ol' skool European courtyard feel to it, and seems so inviting. There was a lot of this place that reminded me of my Mexico trips.

The courtyard has plants in symmetry, a water fountain in the middle and tons of small and very nice statues flanking the walls. The sculptures here were simply stunning, and I could stay forever taking pictures.

But sadly, that was where my appreciation ended...

The entry free was about 3E, and even that fee was waived today. To me, that's usually a sign of trouble (aka, some rooms closed). And I was right! So for all the schlep across town - changing 2-3 lines on the Metro and walking a distance, I got to spend a grand 5 minutes or so inside.

After seeing some fairly lovely tiles line the way to the entrance (and some amazing outside sculptures, including one that appears like 2 people talking by a pond), I went to the basement room that had a lot of pottery. All pretty, but not making up for the effort YET.

So next, I made my way to a room on the top floor which was the only open studio, and this was actually very disappointing. There was all sorts of tacky collections (obviously no accounting for taste), and the only thing that's supposed to grab your attention is a tacky chandelier that the owners bought (or imported) from NYC in the 1900s.

Given that there was nothing else for me to do inside, I decided to head back outside and take more pictures of the outside courtyard as I was kinda smitten by it. Very colourful, very well maintained, and very peaceful and shady.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend this museum. Nothing to do with my bad experience (and in all fairness, some studios were closed so I'm not giving the complete picture, I admit), but it's a bit away from the main tourist strip and iisn't really worth the trouble of travelling for something this small.
rsvpme says:
Well said........very well said !
Vikram says:
Jim, I do agree. A bit overdone giving it an "underdone" look.
rsvpme says:
It has that incomplete look..if that makes sense. Overcooked?
davidx davidx
Museo Sorolla Sep 28, 2009
In a city with three outstandingly famous art museums why go to a fourth, only dedicated to one artist? Because it's a totally different experience and I have yet to meet anybody who has been and not been delighted by it.

I admit to a total ignorance about Sorolla until I was planning my Madrid visit but a recent exhibition of is works at the Prado recorded their highest attendance for 30 years!

You can judge for yourself, however. Sadly the website is not in English but for those who do not understand even basic Spanish

1. click on 'colección'

2. click on 'pintura'

3. the words underlined will all give you paintings from four diferent periods of his career.

Sorolla is often called the 'Master of Light' but, just as attractive as his pictures, his studio and house are more or less as he left them when he died in the 1920s.
'Underwater swimmers,