Museo Nazionale Etrusco Di Villa Giullia

Via di Villa Giullia 9, Rome, Italy

Museo Nazionale Etrusco Di Villa Giullia Rome Reviews

davidx davidx
Terrific museum - uncrowded May 26, 2012
This museum is located at the north-west tip of the Borghese Gardens but I don't recommend a walk through the gardens as a way of finding it! My son and I got hopelessly lost trying to do so.

The museum contains Etruscan remains from numerous sites in Lazio and Umbria and is reckoned to be the best museum for this in all Italy, though the vatican museums also have numerous Etruscan remains.

The Mention of the Etruscan civivilisation does not ring many bells in the UK - and I doubt this is very different in other English speaking countries. However it is a civilisation that flourished in much of Italy several hundred years before the Roman republic.

Many of the artefacts at the museum would be guessed to be Greek and were probably much influenced by pottery and painting in the Greek colonies in Italy.

I was particularly interested because of my earlier trip to the necropolises of Tarquinia and Cerveteri. Artefacts from Cerveteri were prominent in the villa but I imagine those of Tarquinia are more commonly found at the museum there.

Photography is banned at the Villa so no pictures here.
sarahsan says:
Interesting review David! Thanks for charing!
Posted on: May 26, 2012