Musee d'Orsay

Musee d'Orsay - Monet 1891 Haystacks at the End of Summer

Musee d'Orsay Paris Reviews

asgouveia asgouveia
Impressionist paradise Apr 16, 2011
For impressionist and post-impressionit art lovers, this is for sure the place not to miss. There you can find masterpieces from great artists such as Monet, Manet, Degas, Renoir, Cézanne, Seurat, Sisley, Gauguin and Van Gogh. Additionally, the building is a former railyway station, very impressive for sure. A must see :)
moniquecamp moniquec…
must- see Paris Art Apr 02, 2011
If you are in Paris looking to see many of the most famous artworks in the world, from impressionism to art moderne, Monet, VanGogh, Manet Pissaro, Rodin, Rousseau. If I had a choice, I would go here rather than the Louvre. It is a beautiful former train station, organized with some clarity in mind.
davidx davidx
Fulfilled expectations and more Dec 07, 2010
Wow! From the moment we left the Batobus to the moment we left the museum there was something magical about this. Of course we had read enough in preparation for our visit to know most of what we were going to see. We were only really interested in the Impressionist works on the third floor and headed straight up there.

Even if we had not known that this building started its life as a station, we would have had to be dim not to have realised it on the spot and this added to its attraction.

Then what we had come to see - - name the painter and he/she was there. Somebody told me to think of any picture I knew and i would find it there. Taken literally, that is of course nonsense but it's not too bad as a general comment on the place. If I go to paris again, I should not think of missing this.
dsr4u2 dsr4u2
Musee d'Orsay Jan 26, 2009
This is a wonderful old railway station turned into a museum. It features 19th century art, including Europe's greatest Impressionalist Collection. Musee d'Orsay picks up where the Louvre leaves off, featuring French art from the mid 1800s to the 1st World War. The Orsay is covered by the Museum Pass; closed Mondays & crowded on Tuesdays (when the Louvre is closed). You can see this museum's wonderful offerings comfortably in 2 to 3 hours; it is not overwhelming like the Louvre. Photography (without flash) is permitted. Hundreds of pieces of artwork, paintings & sculpture, show-cased in a converted railway station. All the famous (& notorious) artists are represented here: Jean-Francois Millet, Gustave Courbet, Edouard Manet, Edgar Degas, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Claude Monet, Camille Pissarro, Alfred Sisley, Vincent van Gogh, Paul Cezanne, Paul Gauguin, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Auguste Rodin & his muse, Camille Claudel; WOW!
ailema15 ailema15
Not another repetitive Art Museum Dec 25, 2009
One of my favorite museums in the whole world. From the location, the building to the pieces inside of it, Orsay is a treasure. It's so rich, that you won't get bored like most people do in the Louvre. Every new canvas or sculpture has a different story, the guides or audioguides make things so nice, and its an awesome place to relax and enjoy great pieces of art, because you don't have a crowd in front like the Gioconda in the Louvre.

Everyone has different preferences.. For me.. this is the best. And I love Van Gogh, Monet among the many other awesome painter and artists.
missandrea81 says:
Thanks! I will have to go check it out this weekend. :)
Posted on: Jan 29, 2010
sarah_82 sarah_82
Musee d'Orsay Jul 19, 2008
Although the Lourve is cleary the most well known of Paris's museums, I was ready to go after seeing the Mona Lisa. As someone who likes art, but not the tediousness of having to groom through miles of gallery walls to find something I like, I prefer smaller, more organized museums like Musee d'Orsay (The Orsay Museum).

The museum houses mainly paintings, but also has a nice collection of sculpted art, some of which are by Rodin. One of the things I like best about this museum is it's layout. I love when things are catalogued, and here the paintings are displayed by artist, so if you just want to see,for example, Van Gogh and Renoir, you can easily bypass the rest, see want interests you and then move on to whatever's next on your intinery.

The museum can get busy, particulary, around Van Gogh's work, and my advise to this is be patient - stand back and allow those in front of you to finish 'appreciating'. I had people elbow me to get through and it was extremely irritating!

Expect queues during peak periods (summer ect...) although immediate entry is granted to those with 'The Paris Pass'.
Van Gogh - Self Portrait
Kathryn Kathryn
Impressionist art in a transformed Paris train station Jan 02, 2007
Located across the Seine river from the Louvre this museum holds an outstanding collection of art. These works largly center around the Impressionists and post-Impressionists.

Spend a full day and don't miss my favorites:

By Renoir:

By Monet:

Haystacks at the End of Summer

Celebration of June 30, 1878 by Monet

Blue Water Lilies

Rouen Cathedral (of which there are 5)

By Van Gogh:

The Siesta

The Church at Auvers

Starry Night Over the Rhone

and of course Whistler's Mother!
Inside the Musee d'Orsay
Monet 1891 Haystacks at the End of…
Renoir 1876 Moulin de la Galette
Monet 1899 Water-Lily Pond, Sympho…
the_bill the_bill
Nov 19, 2004
Located on the left bank, an old train station was turned into the Orsay Museum, an art museum for mostly French art, including Renoir and Monet. The Orsay is not as big as its better known museum neighbor on the other side of the Seine, but a great collection and a unique setting.
Orsay Clock
Orsay
yadilitta says:
if you like the impressionist, you have to visit it
Posted on: Jun 06, 2008
Chokk says:
It is just a great place
Posted on: Apr 13, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Musee d'Orsay

Potential Itineraries
For our trip, we decided to make a survey to decide where we wanted to go.  We listed countries that interested us, as well as cities in them, and things to see/do in the cities.    …Paris (obviously!) - Musee d' Louvre - Musee d' Orsay - Champs Elysee - Versailles - Notre Dame - Saint Chapelle - Roman Ruins - Latin Quarter - Eiffel…
Musee d'Orsay and Eiffel Tower Queue
Well first full day in Paris and we were ready for it all. Started with breakfast in the apartment. We had bought some cereal last night and KL popped down the road and grabbed some croissants. Whil…Paris and we were ready for it all. Started with breakfast in the apartment. We had bought some cereal last night and KL popped down the road and grabbed some…

Check Paris Hotel Deals