Musashi Sushi

Asty Road, Kyoto, Japan

Musashi Sushi Kyoto Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Way too much wasabi May 09, 2013
Musashi Sushi is located in the food area of Asty Road, which is at the south end of the Kyoto Station Building, right opposite McDonalds. It is part of a chain.

I had been looking for a kaiten sushi place for a while. remembering the wonderful and cheap place we had been to in Sakaide. When I walked down Asty Road and saw the conveyor belt in the window display, I knew I had to try it.

It was very busy and there was a long line, so I came back the next day. Since it was so many people waiting I thought it was a good sign for a great place. I was a bit wrong there. Seating was along a counter along the conveyor belt. There are no computer to place your personal order if you don´t fancy what is on the conveyor belt at the moment.

The sushi cooks were busy and new sushi were constantly added. It was more of a mass production than a piece of art. My first pick was a salmon nigeri. The rice part was small and had a funny shape and it had tons of wasabi. After the first bit my mouth was totally numb. I like to taste the fish I´m eating. I thought it must have been a mistake, so I picked a tuna nigeri. Same thing happened again. After having tried 4 different nigeri sushi I gave up and left the place. I proper sushi chef would have cried if he saw what this place was making.

A few days later, in a different part of town, I walked by a kaiten sushi place. Not realizing it was the same chain, I sat down and looked forward to some good sushi. Same thing happened again, way too much wasabi.

I know that the amount of wasabi you put on a piece of sushi is a matter of taste, but to end up with your mouth totally numb is not normal. I have eaten a good share of sushi through the years, but have never had this experience before.

Musashi sushi serves just average quality sushi with too much wasabi. Even though it´s cheap, 137 yen pr plate or $1,40, I would not recommend this chain.
Inside Musashi Sushi
Inside Musashi Sushi
Tiny squid
sarahsan says:
I should have done my homework Yunni! Even in Lonely Planet it says that Mushashi Sushi doesn´t have the best sushi!
Posted on: May 10, 2013
gingerbatik says:
unfortunately you don't have good experience in this rest.
Posted on: May 10, 2013
Toonsarah Toonsarah
Conveyor-belt sushi Oct 11, 2013
One of the must-have eating experiences on any visit to Japan is a visit to a kaiten or conveyor- belt sushi restaurant, and this one in Kyoto is a great example. On the ground floor (or first floor I guess, since the Japanese follow the US convention in numbering floors) is a counter where diners perch on stools and choose from the plates that pass in front of them, while on the floor above, where we ate, booths radiate out from the central hub where sushi is prepared by the chefs and loaded on to the conveyor. Here the diners at the conveyor end of the table must take the responsibility for grabbing the passing plates not only for themselves but also for their dining companions. We ate with another couple from our group, Sue and John from Australia, and it was John and I who performed this task – with enthusiasm you might say, if you saw the number of empty plates piled on the table by the end of the meal!

Those plates are important, as the bill is totalled according to their number. I have eaten in sushi restaurants in London where the plates are colour-coded to indicate the price, but here all dishes cost the same - just 137¥. This meant that we could have a filling meal (15 plates between us) for the bargain price of just over 3,000¥, including two beers – about £18 or $30.

All the sushi here is handmade. There was a really good variety available and I don't think we had anything more than once, however good, in order to try more dishes. My favourite was probably the melt-in-your-mouth bonito tuna, closely followed by the tempura prawns (I've never had tempura on sushi before!) and crab.
Sushi chef
On the conveyor belt
They also sell sushi to take home

Check Kyoto Hotel Deals