Muntanya de Montserrat

Monistrol de Montserrat, Barcelona, Spain

Muntanya de Montserrat Barcelona Reviews

jaffizzle jaffizzle
Great get-a-way from the city. Jun 27, 2011
I stayed at Barcelona for a week, a bit with friends but mostly on my own. I made multiple rounds throughout the city, ate at plenty of great restaurants, over-indulged myself in Sangria and even did a bit of shopping, but for some reason I was still left unsatisfied with my experience. Don't get me wrong, Barcelona was amazing. Great food, amazing architecture, friendly vibe, just an amazing city in general. I guess being from the city, I wanted a vacation away from the city. The Barcelona scene, although different, was still way too familiar.

A waiter I befriended recommended me Montserrat. It was about an hour train ride away plus a 15 minute gondola ride up. When I took my first step off the gondola, I felt like I just entered into another world. The city itself was quite small, but I was able to spend the entire day here and still wasn't able to see everything. There were a few different choices of hikes. One guides you though the stations of the cross along side the mountains. Another takes you to the summit. There were a few more as well; all with amazing views.

Again I came here on a whim, so I wasn't very familiar with the must-dos. I first went through the stations as it was the most obvious. I would say it was a good hour or so hike, probably could be done in less, but I took my time to enjoy the views and the sculptures. It was a pretty easy hike on paved roads.

Once I finished, I explored the city a bit. The architecture was great, but I was disappointed with what I saw inside. The stores are very tourist-oriented and the options were very minimal. There was just a single cafeteria for food and a few souvenir shops selling overpriced jewelry. There were a couple of stands selling locally produced food. They were very nice and let people sample their products. I would recommend bringing lunch or at least some snacks.

I had about an hour and a half left before the last train back when I noticed the summit trail, Sant Jeroni. If I remember correctly it was tucked behind a fountain. The hike was estimated to be ~3 hours round trip. There are gondolas at the top that will take you back down. I was hoping to make it to the summit in 1 hour and hoping to take the gondola back down with my remaining 30 mins. Long story short I didn't make it to the top and the gondolas operating. I missed what I thought to be the last train, but fortunately there was another. Even though I didn't finish the hike, the hike itself offered many breath taking views. Spectacular during the sunset. No regrets here.

This was definitely the highlight of the trip...aside from the jars of Sangria :)
A little shortcut ;-)
ellieisamazing ellieisa…
Take the walk to the top! Nov 12, 2008
Didn't think much of this place at first ... tour buses, lots of school kids, cafeteria style eating. But I took the St. Joan Finucular to the top and walked to the (I think) St. Jerome summit? Anyway, had a real life altering experience up there, found it to be a very spiritual and very special. One of those experiences that can only be had with travel.
View from the top of Muntanya de M…
Mountains of Montserrat