Mungo National Park

New South Wales, Australia

Mungo National Park New South Wales Reviews

vantastic65 vantasti…
Destination of a difference Jul 10, 2011
Mungo who i hear you say, yes Mungo National Park World Heritage Site. I had no intention of going to such a place as i left Victoria looking for some sun and respite from Melbournes cold winter.I called into the tourist information centre in Mildura Victoria and saw some pictures and a brochure, after asking a few questions i found myself heading to Mungo National Park in south western N.S.W. The only advice i was given was to rug up and deflate my tyres to low pressure as 90kms of the journey will be over corrugated unsealed roads normally only accessable by 4wd but the roads are passable by 2wd if done slowly with lowered tyre pressure. I love a challenge so off i went!!!

After rattling along the corrugations for nearly 4 hours i finally arrived about an hour before sunset, the brochure said its premier attaraction was the walls of china best seen at sunset, my timing was perfect. The walls of China are what look like sand dunes but are infact salt and dirt which has been blown by the winds over the years and stretch for many kms across a vast dry lake bed, in fact the lake has been dry for more than 30,000 years and when i say a vast lake bed i mean a hundred square kms of dry lake bed. As the sun came down why it is called the walls of china became obvious, for as far as the eye can see it appeared there was a continous white wall, truely amazing. I have attached a photo to this review but it does not do it justice and im not a good photographer.

The following morning after being by my campfire for what seem hours i was awoken by wallabies beside my van, when i eventually woke fully i realised the camp was almost full of fellow campers and an abundance of wildlife, not to mention the overly agressive birds who flew at break neck speed to get a nibble on my toast. Seems that even in the middle of winter people are prepared to travel to remote areas to be part of nature, i love travelling!!!!!!

P.S

They even have free hot showers. Fee for staying is $9p.p.
New South Wales Map