Mulholland Flower Preserve / Six Mile Creek

Water Street, Ithaca, NY, USA
Mulholland Flower Preserve / Six Mile Creek - The first couple trails I came upon were surprisingly steep!
Mulholland Flower Preserve / Six Mile Creek - Trails through Six Mile Creek
Mulholland Flower Preserve / Six Mile Creek - Welcome!
Mulholland Flower Preserve / Six Mile Creek - Six Mile Creek was utterly charming
Mulholland Flower Preserve / Six Mile Creek - There was a pleasant swimming hole just upstream from here.
Mulholland Flower Preserve / Six Mile Creek - Six Mile Creek at the parking lot

Mulholland Flower Preserve / Six Mile Creek Ithaca Reviews

vances vances
Mulholland Wildflower Preserve / Six Mile Creek Jul 03, 2011
Mulholland Flower Preserve seems to be nestled within the Six Mile Creek Natural Area, which is a large refuge on the east side of Ithaca. Be forewarned it is a bit painful getting in – you need to turn south off of route 79 on either Water Street or Cornell Street, but there are zero signs hinting of either site’s existence.

The entrance is at the T where Water Street plugs into Cornell, and it is a very steep dirt road with a nasty gully running down the middle. I straddled the gully and descended into a small dirt parking lot that was jammed to capacity, forcing me to invent one more space.

Believe I quickly discerned the driver for the masses congregating here (masses may be an overstatement, it was perhaps twenty vehicles). First, most folks had brought their dogs along and many were retrieving sticks tossed into the creek. But it wasn’t just a canine haven, for a short ways down the trail I came upon ten or so people in a nice swimming hole. The hot weather appears to have driven man and beast to Six Mile this afternoon!

After consulting the basic trail map at a kiosk in the lot, I could see the Flower Preserve was a distinct area completely engulfed by Six Mile Creek. There seemed to be a fair amount of trails here, but nothing was blazed and I wound up going up and down some steep paths which dead-ended. The quadriceps were a bit tender after yesterday’s long run, so I turned around.

So, disappointed that I can’t provide you with in-depth coverage, but the little I saw hinted at further charm. Probably a worthwhile experience to spend more time here and prospect for the hidden gems which probably lie further down the trail (I never made it to the flower preserve!).
Welcome!
The first couple trails I came upo…
Trails through Six Mile Creek
Six Mile Creek was utterly charming
sylviandavid says:
Dispite it seeming like no one could find it... lots of locals were there .... nice review... and good job on locating it.....
Posted on: Jul 09, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Mulholland Flower Preserve / Six Mile Creek

Back to Ithaca
Started back to Ithaca with no game plan and once underway I acknowledged how nice it would be to avoid traffic snarls awaiting if I tried to get back to the hotel.  So I stuck with 79 East (the…Mulholland Flower Preserve and Six Mile Creek. Once I was about eight miles outside of Ithaca to the East I figured…

Check Ithaca Hotel Deals