Mueso Regional de Ica

Ica, Peru

Mueso Regional de Ica Reviews

Raches Raches
Jun 02, 2006
I never knew I cared so much about museums until I visited this one, and felt sorely unimpressed by its presentation and overall atmosphere. The entrance to the grounds is rather grand and the staff friendly, although the cost (11 soles) is relatively expensive. There were no other visitors when I arrived - I could tell because they had to turn the lights on in the exhibit rooms. I got the feeling they were trying to save as much electricity as possible, because they only lit the room I was in until I was almost done looking at the last few exhibits, then they would turn the lights on in the next room. It was almost a relief when other tourists arrived so they would at least keep the lights on throughout the exhibit. Most of the explanations were in Spanish with some English translations - mostly decent translations, but I spotted a couple of shockers (what´s a champaing?).

The ground floor hosts lots of ceramics, from the Paracas, Wari and Inca cultures, as well as representations of various living scenes, photos of representations (now that´s stretching it a little) and textiles. Apparently two big, very old textiles were stolen from this museum back in 2000 and 2004. Now, what someone would do with them, I´m not sure. Anyone in the museum industry know of any conspiracies?

The one room that maybe warranted the entrance fee is the bioanthropology room, which housed several mummies, presented in the way they were found in the tomb, some still with hair. There were also several skulls, often deformed (particularly in the Paracas culture, children often had their heads bound and squashed either to elongate or fatten them, for various ethnic or religious reasons). One mummy was pregnant - they had some interesting x-rays.

On the second floor there were oil paintings of famous colonial men and lots of wooden furniture from the colonial period. Not really too interesting. But they also had a little art gallery of works recently done by people from Ica (I believe). The art was all for sale, and there were some lovely little oil paintings and sketches representing some part of Iqueño culture.

Not a place I would go out of my way to recommend, but not a bad way to spend an hour or so.

Check Ica Hotel Deals