Mud baths

Calistoga, California

Mud baths Calistoga Reviews

alygally alygally
Mud baths in Calistoga Nov 22, 2007
Calistoga is not only home to the world famous the Old Faithful Geyser of California and its hot spring resorts, but it is also world renowned for its volcanic mud baths. People all around the world come to Calistoga for heath and wellness, and a dip in the famed mineral water. Day spas all around the town boast everything from swimming pools filled with this water to private rooms with two or three tubs full of mud.

The mud bath experience is definitely unique. While I'm glad I did it (mostly for the stories), I'm not sure it's something I would ever do again given the opportunity. The experience starts with immersing yourself in a tub full of warm mud, and soaking for roughly 30 minutes. This is followed by a dip in mineral water, and many spas end the entire routine with a massage.

It can be a little disconcerting being up to your neck in the mud. It's rather buoyant, so your body floats just below the surface of it. I found myself constantly wiggling around to try to get down into it more. We had an attendant who came in frequently to give us cool towels for our faces or apply a skin-purifying face mask, which was lovely. Our room also had a private pool area where you could cool off for a few moments post-mud, before continuing to the massage room for the final stage of the process.

Related Travel Blogs About Mud baths

Mud baths in Calistoga
Thanksgiving morning, the family set off to Calistoga for the supposedly healthy mud baths at the Golden Haven Spa.  It was....interesting...but not necessarily an experience I'm dying to repeat…Calistoga for the supposedly healthy mud baths at the Golden Haven Spa.  It was....interesting...but not necessarily an experience…

Check Calistoga Hotel Deals