Mucha-Museum

www.mucha.cz - +420 224 216 415

Mucha-Museum Prague Reviews

keeweeset keeweeset
Small museum about a great artist Aug 10, 2015
I was super excited about visiting this museum because I love love love Alphonse Mucha's work. Even though it's a small museum I probably spent 2 hours there looking at all the artworks and reading the explanations on the wall labels.There is even a small section showing furniture from his studio as well as a film about Mucha's life. This museum really shows the evolution of this artist from his earlier art nouveau advertising and theater posters to his later work, which was inspired by the history and mythology of the Czech people and other Slavic peoples.

At the reception you can also buy a small booklet about Mucha. As I was trying not to spend too much money I decided not to purchase the booklet. So, I have no idea how good the information is.

The museum also has small lockers, where you can leave your daypack or bag, free of charge.
keeweeset says:
Thank you and you're welcome! :)
Posted on: Aug 20, 2015
jenn79 says:
I always learn something new from your enthusiasm for art!!
Posted on: Aug 19, 2015
Andy99 Andy99
The World of Alphonse Mucha Sep 27, 2011
I knew of artist Alphonse Mucha from his Art Nouveau advertising posters of Job cigarette papers and Sarah Bernhardt plays. His swirling works had always seemed to me to be the very essence of the Art Nouveau style. I'd heard about the Mucha Museum in a Rick Steves travel video about Prague. When we spotted it while walking down Panska in the New Town, I knew we had to stop in.

Alphonse Mucha (1860-1939) was from the vicinity of Brno, but achieved his artistic fame in Paris. The museum has assembled a wide selection of his works from his successful theatrical and commercial advertising posters to his lesser known decorative art pieces, including jewelry and glass. (I thought of Tiffany glass lamps and vases as I looked at Mucha's work. They were contemporaries.) Mucha documented his studio work in photographs, so we also meet the real models upon whom he based his comely figures with flowing hair.

The artist kept an ongoing visual journal of study vignettes, so visitors can see samples of his evolving thoughts about design. In the 1920s, Mucha returned to Czechoslovakia to pursue a more Slavic style. The female figures were still there, but drawn quite differently. He completed what he considered his greatest painting, The Slav Epic, in 1928, but in ever avant-garde Prague, he was already considered old-fashioned.

I'm glad to see Mucha with a niche in contemporary Prague. I enjoyed the museum and learned a great deal more about this artist than I had previously been aware.

Recommended and clearly a must for fans of Art Nouveau!

The museum has a book and gift shop. Admission is 180 CZK.
Mucha Musuem
WalterC WalterC
Worth a look if familiar with the artist or the art style Mar 09, 2011
Located close to the Museum of Communism, the Mucha Museum is on a side street, that can be hard to find. You will need a good map, as well as good directions, to find the place. Having enjoyed seeing his work on the stained-glass window inside St. Vitus Cathedral at Prague Castle, is the Mucha Museum really worth going? Well, I went to find out.

This museum has displays of the drawings and photographs of Alphonse Mucha (or Alfons Mucha), a Czech artist. He was part of the Art Nouveau style. The drawings does look more like posters and advertisements, which are really nice to see. Like seeing billboards from those times. There is also a short film on his life, but I thought it was so-so, and not really worth my time.

While the actual collection itself are nice, I can’t help but feel underwhelmed, mainly because of 2 things. The first was the overpriced admission that I paid, as the collection is small. I won’t hold the small collection against it though, as it does have to make due with what it has. And the second thing being that photography is NOT allowed at all!

So overall, I thought it was an okay museum, worth checking out if familiar with the Art Nouveau style or Mucha himself.
museum building

Related Travel Blogs About Mucha-Museum

ahoy!
they actually say ahoy here when saying hello!  prague is so beautiful.  ther buildings are all amazing and there are so many cool things to buy!  its a good thing because i still want…prague!  there is a whole mucha museum.   so its tempting to buy so many things!   and so many…
worth it for the mucha museum
luckily i found a cheap flight from milan to prague, so i could still do my central eurotrip minus vienna. i'm not big on museums, got tired at the louvre and paintings of fat naked chicks after a c…mucha museum was a must see. the museum was small, probably the size of a bathroom at the louvre, but i was there for 3 hours! i stared…
Last day!
Well, we had to say goodbye to beautiful Prague today.  Probably my most recommended travel destination in Europe so far (not that I've been many but hey, I'm still allowed a favorite).We went f…Mucha Museum.  I didn't know who he was but Weslie had been saying she wanted to go the entire time we've been in Prague

Check Prague Hotel Deals